Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys update keeps failing!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

I have been getting a Linksys update applet which I have tried to do the update but it continually fails, it causes me to have to reload Lela. The Lynksys forum has no info on the problem. I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and found a work around.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:49 AM

What do you mean "getting"?? Are you downloading it or is it being sent to you? I typically decline any kind of automatic updates but I have never recieved anything from Linksys and would find any kind of "sent" software suspect since I have never seen this before from Linksys. If you are interested in doing an update download the firmware and do it locally. Oh and if you are recieving unsolicited "updates" from Linksys I suggest you report it to them as fraud/malware
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

The update has been popping up when I boot up, I gave it a couple of tries but it knocked out Linsys Adviser forcing me to use the disk to get it up and running again. I did not have any effect on the connection just Adviser, according to the applet it was for better security.

Phil

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

Ah I see....I never use the disk to setup routers so I never have the advisor installed. Best bet is go to linksys website and download the firmware from there and try it rather than use the advisor
Mark Twain

#5 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hmmm,
I have used Linksys Advisor and I have never found this to happen as an issue. When you boot up it tells you to update? Or when you open Linksys Advisor it tells you to update?

ETA: I agree that the best way to update the firmware is the one on the website.

Edited by Mooseby, 15 November 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

The applet says it is an update with added security features, the upload and install go well and I am sure are factory. When it is done Linksys easy link Adviser is gone but everything works fine. When I run the disk to get the adviser back all of my setting have been retained so it only takes a few minutes. My thing is if it has some better features I would like it to load properly, I have had the router for almost two years. The router is a WRT160Nv2 which does a good absolutely no complaints, it is a fair bit faster then the WRT54 I had that I bricked screwing around with firmware.

Phil

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

If it is updating the router then it is updating the firmware period. Either the applet is doing or you are and right now the applet doesn't seem to like to do it's job. You can always try to reinstall the software and it may work. If not you're stuck doing it manually.

Edited by Baltboy, 16 November 2010 - 07:47 PM.

Mark Twain

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

All my stuff is working fine so I am just going to ignore the applet when it appears, thanks for the replies if anything changes I will wake this post up!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users