Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp event monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bugster0121

bugster0121

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

In windows XP home edition, how would I print out the event monitor logs that happended on a certain day. Would it show when someone accessed the system via USB connection, i.e. plugged in an MP3 player. And would it show exactly when a program file was accessed or automatically opened, i.e. Windows Media Player.

Thank you

bugster0121

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hmmm, I know how you print the Event Viewer logs from the events in the log, but tracking a specific event? From playing with my XP machine I do not think that shows in the Event Logs. I just opened WMP and it created no new events in the Event Viewer.

There might be a way to access the Windows Media Player, recent playlist.

What happened?

Edited by Mooseby, 13 November 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#3 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:55 AM

Trying to figure out what time an MP3 player was hooked into the machine. The owner of the MP3 player denies hooking it up and I was trying to pin down the time it was plugged into the machine. I discovered it hooked up and WMP was open showing the playlist in the MP3 player. I checked the event monitor logs and it appears to only show programs opened at the time the machine was turned on. Is there a way to look at the times that WMP program was accessed? How would I print the event monitor logs?

Thanks

bugster0121

#4 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:26 PM

You can print the Event Viewer logs one event at a time, by clicking on the Event, in the Event Properties windows that open there are some icons on the right hand side. An up arrow, a down arrow and some sheets of paper click on teh sheets of paprn, then open a text editor like Word, and paste into a blank page.

Edited by Mooseby, 13 November 2010 - 03:26 PM.

#5 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thank you I will try that. Any thoughts on the Windows Media Player history logs?

Thanks

bugster0121

#6 bugster0121

bugster0121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

Cool it worked. Now if I can just figure out what they mean in layman's terms I can figure out when WMP opened that day or when one of the USB ports was accesesed. There must be over 100 entries there in a short period of time, amazing.

Thanks

bugster0121

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users