Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop cd/dvd drive not reading

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kbctrading

kbctrading

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:54 AM

I am using an older model laptop, HP compaq nx9010, I think is all stock, the cd/dvd drive stopped reading. I have XP professional, the drive is a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F
I ripped a few cds about a month ago, and I tried to download some motorola software the other day, & it wouldn't read it, tried a couple cds, won't read them either at all. media player says insert cd, like it doesn't recognize anything in there, and if I try to run from the drive in my computer, all I get is blank, like nothing is in there. anyone have any hints for me? Much appreciated if you do, thanks!!!!!

Oh, and if I click properties, & ck device, it tells me it is working properly....

thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

Oh, and if I click properties, & ck device, it tells me it is working properly....

Step 1- You could try to Roll Back Driver under properties. It might just clear this conflict.

If not then maybe we can help XP to remember its DVD Drive this way:

Step 2- Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG (copy and paste):

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

Reboot the machine and it should work fine now.

Let me know if you need help with any of the above procedures.

Good luck
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 kbctrading

kbctrading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

I did what you said, and I hope I did it right, I do have a FIXCD icon on my desktop. I did reboot, and still, it seems to not be able to read a CD. if I try from wmp, it tells me 'to begin, insert an audio CD into the CD drive' I tried 3 cds,none seem to read. any chance you might have another idea? also, when I put a cd or other media in the tray, it blnks a few times than does nothing. I just don't understand. it worked perfectly, and still says that its working properly, but isnt working ....grrrr... thanks for the help!

Edited by kbctrading, 13 November 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

I do apologize, I didn't mention Step 3! :o

You need to double click this icon that we have created. Ensure that you have saved this file as specified and that the file extension is .reg

...and then restart the machine.

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

FWIW: Anytime any member suggests a registry edit...the first instruction should be to back up the registry. A good tool for doing such is Erunt, http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm .

Beginners Guides The Registry Backups, Repairs, and Protection - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=263&page=4

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/#backup

How to backup the Windows XP Registry - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

Louis

#6 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

FWIW: Anytime any member suggests a registry edit...the first instruction should be to back up the registry. A good tool for doing such is Erunt, http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm .

Beginners Guides The Registry Backups, Repairs, and Protection - PCSTATS.com - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=263&page=4

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/#backup

How to backup the Windows XP Registry - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

Louis

Very well put indeed Louis, point taken, I will make sure to use that from now on.

Many thanks

Kind regards

#7 kbctrading

kbctrading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

Ok, I did load & run ERUNT, I double clicked FIXCD and I get a box that says...

"Cannot Import C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Desktop\FIXCD.REG: The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

Any ideas? Thanks to you both!

#8 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor

From an online article:

'Despite what the message says about “binary Registry files,” this problem occurs if the .reg file you create is in any format other than plain text. For this reason, I advised using Notepad or another text editor. Most word processors, such as Microsoft Word, will save to their own formats by default.'

kbctrading this script does work, and has been used several times, saving many people's headaches :wacko:

Could it be that the script hasn't been copied and paste correctly?
This is the script you want:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

You must select and copy exactly everything from REGEDIT4 to UdfReadr]
Paste this into the Notepad and use 'Save As' to save the scrip with the name FIXCD.reg onto your Descktop.
Please ensure that the extension is indeed .reg and that you are clearing the .txt extention offered by Notepad as a default text document.

Once you've exactly executed all these steps, disconnect your machine from the internet. Shut down any security such as anti-virus, firewalls etc.
Double-click the FIXCD.reg file and these are the 2 prompts you should see:

'Are you sure you want to add the information in C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Desktop\FIXCD.reg to the registry?' You click YES
The next prompt would be:
'Information C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Desktop\FIXCD.reg has been successfully entered into the registry.'

Hope it works this time.

#9 kbctrading

kbctrading
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

Still having trouble, and have been swamped with work. Please don't close this thread, could still use some help, will have more time within the next 2-3 days. once again, thanks!

#10 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:38 AM

As per post #5 by hamluis, remember to always backup your registry before performing any changes :wink:

You will need to do this:

Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

How to access regedit?

Now delete the keys:
LowerFilters and UpperFilters in the right pane.
...only one key may be present but still delete it.

Now reboot and your optical drive(s) should function again.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users