Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Good Cell Phone Reception in my Home

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smilezrcool

smilezrcool

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:22 AM

I have very limited to no reception of my cell phone inside my phone. I have heard there is some form of antenna and booster that can be mounted inside the home to help boost the cell phone signal. Any advice or directions would be appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

They do exist, but ones that actually work are not cheap. Additionally they are also carrier specific. As an example take a look here: Cellphone Signal Extender

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have this same issue at my house but I just got a blackberry which has calling and texting over wifi so all you need is a wifi connection and there you go. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#4 HydroLar

HydroLar

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

The signal frequency from phone to cell tower and back is of high enough frequency to be called 'line-of-sight'. This means that the signal does not bounce off the ionosphere like lower frequency waves, instead it punches through the atmosphere and heads out. So if any obstacle happens to be between you and the tower, signal will diminish drastically if not completely fail.

This is why cell phone towers are always built on hills or mountains. I am not sure the general frequency here but the higher the frequency the faster it degrades over distance. Even tree leaves in the way of a Ghz signal will affect reception.

You may be able to get some kind of amplifier but it will not do too much for the price. You may have to just live with it and hope they build another tower near you.
Posted Image

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

#5 cps68500

cps68500

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Verizon came out with their own network extender by converting the 3G into a VoIP call. You can get one (if you are on Verizon) for 249$.

http://support.vzw.com/information/network_extender.html

I have one. It works awesome!

#6 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'm having a similar problem in my home. I can hear people as clear as a bell, but they cannot hear me. Frustrating! I currently have a Samsung Solstice with basic service with AT&T. I've had 2 other phones with AT&T both with the same problem. However, I do not recall if the problem was just in my house with the other phones.

AT&T has recommended turning off the phone daily to "refresh" it or purchasing another phone through them.

Most everyone has recommended Verizon to me. I'm considering switching over to Verizon and purchasing the Network Extender as suggested in the previous reply.

I was also told by Verizon that I could get reception through a concrete wall with one of their 4G phones with the Smart phone service.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

AZrox, everything depends on Location location location. In a concrete bunker 2.5 miles away from a tower, no problem you've got service, but 5.0miles you're outta luck. Verizon has 0 signal at my house, Sprint has great, US Cellular is ok ,and nTelos is ok. In other words "Your Mileage Will Varry" if they offer a 30 day trial it wouldn't hurt to try each carrier out until you've found one that works everywhere you want it to.

Here's my every expanding list of stuff that ruins cell signal:
1)Manufactured Housing (aka mobile homes and modular homes)
2)Aluminum Siding
3)Foil backed insulation
4)Foil Backed house wrap
5)Tin Roofs and/or siding
6)Mountains with metal deposits in them

Getting the picture? Anything with metal in it will degrade signal quality, and now for the catch 22 using the foil backed insulation and house wrap increases energy efficiency for the home. I have -50dB cell strength in my yard I have anywhere between -100 and -130dB in my home. According to Qualcomm who makes cell phone chips and cell powered devices -50 is awesome and -100 is the bare minimum for "good" reception (you can access the network at -110 to -120 ,depending on which chipset your phone has, but quality really suffers past -100).

Edited by BlackSpyder, 21 January 2012 - 07:19 PM.

Posted Image

#8 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Black Spyder.

I contacted my current provider AT&T and they claim to have 2 towers within 1 mile radius of my zip code. They would not give me a exact location. So these towers could very well be 5 miles plus from my home. I will take your suggestion in trying out some other providers.

As far as your list of things that ruin cell phone signal, my house may have foiled back insulation and house rap. My house has none of the other things you mentioned and was build in 1985.

Just to clarify, if I had a 4G phone and these towers were 5 miles plus away from my house, could I still have a poor signal in my home?

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users