Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus And Firewall Protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 travisgal369

travisgal369

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:35 PM

Would like to know how to determine which type of protection is really best for my system. My system is windows XP compact presario SR1520NX. Not really sure what to use as to avert or mcaffe or somrthing else. Don't like norton it took over my computer and I unstalled it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

travisgal369,

First of all let me say, welcome to Bleeping Computer. As far as what products to use for virus & malware protection? I take the approach that it's more a matter of personal choice. I'm going to add a link that has a very comprehensive list of software. Link Here. The best part is that, those are all freeware products. Read up, research, try them for a while. See what works best for you. Peruse the various threads here. However, one firewall and one antivirus at a time. You can have more than one of each, installed, however make sure that only one of each is running. Then have several malware products as well. For example, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, Adaware, etc. Also on many of the products, listed in that link, there are tutorials to give you more information. I'm sure others will add their thoughts on this topic as well.

Be (Virus&Malware) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:42 AM

There are several choices for the three main categories, antivirus, antispyware, and firewall. I list a few plus some common utilities..

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware information and diagnostics)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Sygate 5.4 (I personally use)
Zone Alarm

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 chiawaikian

chiawaikian

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM