Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KingKoopa85

KingKoopa85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:15 PM

hey everyone i'm new here but i'll try to be as specific as i can,

i built my computer a few years ago, and upgraded it since then, and my usb ports used to work, now they show up in device manager all ok, all drivers current and up to date, but they cant run my webcam or a keyboard or mouse etc. although they will power objects like an mp3 player or my phone, so they have power but they dont work.

i have an asus p5n-e sli socket 775 motherboard with bios version 0901, running windows 7

i havent flashed my bios before, but it can be risky just the same, so i figured somone might have a better answer before i kill my computer hehe.

i didnt figure i needed to list any other specs, but if so feel free to ask, and thanks for listening thus far :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

With the mention of the mouse and keyboard I have to wonder if these are still enabled in the BIOS. If this is an option a low CMOS battery could cause the BIOS to revert to the default settings disabling the USB mouse and keyboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KingKoopa85

KingKoopa85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

sorry, my usb ports are enabled, the ports, legacy, and 2.0, but i cant see my mouse or keyboaard in my bios.....

Edited by KingKoopa85, 13 November 2010 - 12:15 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

If they are showing up in the BIOS as enabled then the battery isn't the problem.

I'm guessing that you are using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse for now?

Open the device manager and right click on the first item which has the icon of the monitor in front of it and select Scan for hardware changes. Some times USB port don't wish to wake up, this has been used before to force it. See if this works with your web cam.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 KingKoopa85

KingKoopa85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:31 AM

well, i have a usb card, that only allows 2 slots, and that works just fine, but because my keyboard needs 2 slots, i have an external 4 port extension so i can run my mouse and keyboard. the keyboard wont run on the extension, it has to have one of the usb connectors in the actual card, then the other goes in my 4 port extension as well as my mouse and webcam. i can get it working, but i have 4 ports that came with my motherboard and they dont work, i want to try out the usb 2.0 thing, but the only ones that support it dont work haha. thank you for responding btw

aslo i forgot to mention that i have a ps/2 keboard hooked up as well, because my computer wont boot when it cant find my usb keyboard, not having enough ports, i have to keep both plugged in haha, sad sad sad

Edited by KingKoopa85, 13 November 2010 - 12:33 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

This isn't jiving with the specifications I'm seeing on this motherboard. There should be four rear panel USB ports, and four onboard headers for USB ports. I'm guessing that the external card is connected to the onboard headers?

Are the four ports that aren't working the rear panel ports?

Have you examined these to be sure they aren't shorting out to the case?

Why does you keyboard require two USB ports?

#7 KingKoopa85

KingKoopa85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

its a pci usb card that i am using, and then a 4 port extension ran out of the card

and yes the four rear panel ports are the ones not working

how would i be able to tell if they were shorting out to the case?

it requires 2 because it has light up keys, so i can type in any lighting (razer lycosa)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:56 AM

Did these four rear panel ports ever work?

#9 KingKoopa85

KingKoopa85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

yes sir they did, a long time ago hehe

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

A simple thing to try would be to spritz them out with a little compressed air
Maybe they are dirty

I would not flash the BIOS unless you are having an issue that the BIOS update addresses.
If the flash fails you could end up with a paperweight
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 KingKoopa85

KingKoopa85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

i will try that thank you! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users