Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual computer behavior: Confusing ruined sound, Norton blocking consistent attacks, Exceptional slow program loading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Antermosiph

Antermosiph

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

This is my first post here: so I am unsure if I am doing this correctly, I'll do my best to provide the correct information.

Current system specs:

Windows XP Professional
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core Processor

Due to a symptom of my problem, I cannot say the sound card other than that it is a Realtek card.

I currently run Norton full version, supplied by comcast, as my constant anti-virus: no other anti-virus is used on my system.

Roughly three days ago, I had been playing a Steam based game while at the same moment browsing youtube on Google Chrome. While watching a video midway: my chrome completely crashed, and my computer began running significantly slower. I immediately closed the game, thinking it was a simple crash, and reopened google chrome. When reopened however it could not connect to anything (Google.com, ect) and in fact wouldn't load any pages. At about this time, my Norton has popped up with a message stating that my computer had recently been attacked and Norton has blocked it.

Due to chrome not working, I attempted firefox in safe mode. Firefox was for the most part unaffected, my internet was slower than before but it was still able to run web pages. I had run a quick scan to attempt to find something, and checked my task manager for unusual processes yet found nothing.

Thinking it was merely comcast acting up, I went to bed and shut my computer off.

The next day, when attempting to start my computer anytime I attempted to log on an administrative account via XP my computer would freeze at the 'loading personal settings' screen. Unusure of what to do, but having no one to ask, I restarted the computer and attempted the same thing in safe mode. I still was freezing (I did not freeze if I logged onto a non-administrative) and thus restarted again... this time selecting to load with last known working configuration.

Once doing this, I was able to once more log onto an administrative account, however it was much, much slower than usual to log in. Almost immediately after logging in Norton had stated it blocked another attack. Looking at where the attack had come from (unable to provide, since I did not save) I saw it was a .com source. Roughly 10-15minutes later another pop up occured, this from Scvhost, then later another one from another .com source. Each time Norton states it has blocked an attack, it is a different source.

Asides the slowness, chrome being broken, and the blocked attacks there were no other symptoms for a time... and I was during this time asking around for any tips or assistance in attempting to block this virus. I was listening to music on my PC this entire time, and had opened another program to pass the time while I waited for someone with knowledge to get on. Upon opening the game, I noticed the sound was going to my speakers and not my headset. Confused, I opened up my sound settings under the control panel and noticed that it says I have no device. I cannot change volume, any settings, and every selection is completely greyed out. When I attempted to troubleshoot, all I received was an error (Unable to produce, did not keep as a log but will repeat if necessary)

Depite this, my game was still playing sound via my speakers, and my winamp + skype were going through my Logitech headset. Windows default sounds (start up, shut down, ect) were also through the headset. However some programs such as firefox only occasionally had sound... more often than not being completely silent.

Of the suggestions I was given, I have run malwarebytes scan once and burned a copy of Avira System Recovery under the advice it may be something in my OS. I have not run Avira yet however: been given the advice to come here before attempting anything else. I was also given the advice to get combofix and have run it: although being vastly confused about what happened when I did open it I did not touch it again once it had finished. The problems still remained regardless.

As far as I can remember, there is not any other symptoms at this point and time. Things start up obscenely slow, but once they begin they run at more or less the usual rate. This includes things based on an internet connection, Firefox aside if I open a program of internet basis it takes minutes (compared to my used too instant) to detect a connection.

If there is anything I could do to figure out what is going on, I would deeply appreciate it. I will be willing to try my best to provide any necessary information.

I do not remember the chronological events perfectly: but I believe I ran combo-fix BEFORE my sound had given out. I cannot completely verify however.

Edited by Antermosiph, 12 November 2010 - 07:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Antermosiph

Antermosiph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

I wish to add... an unusual update.

I went to play a game shortly after making this post while awaiting a reply and noticed the program opened instantly. Confused, I checked my audio manager and noticed it now detects my sound card. Google Chrome is also working and I haven't seen a norton attack.

I am, to say the least vastly confused at this point. I had not run any scans before my recent reboot: My last scan being last night and I rebooted right after.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry we missed your topic here. I'm going to delete your newer duplicate topic.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users