Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online storage for files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:54 PM

Is there any way to transfer files from old computers, like Windows 98 and ME to newer computers running Windows XP by uploading them to an internet program and then downloading to the newer computer?

My telephone/internet service privider recommended a program called Dropbox.com, but I don't think it will work on Windows 98 or ME.

The CD writer on my daughter's ME doesn't seem to work, and we have been moving files with old 3.5 floppies to my 98, and from there to a CD. This is very slow, and doesn't always work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:18 PM

Using a USB flashdrive would be the obvious first choice ... if there are USB ports available on the old boxes. For the old OS you would need to manually install the drivers for your specific flashdrive.

Do you have USB ports available to use?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Egad Elaine

Egad Elaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:58 PM

Neither the 98 nor the ME has a USB port.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

Can you use a screwdriver ... ?

Replace the optical drive that doesn't work with a working one from another computer (temporarily if you wish) and burn your files to CD/DVD.

or

Move the HDD (hard disk drive) with the files you wish to copy, into the other computer (temporarily) and connect as a secondary (slave) drive and copy files from one hard drive to another. I would expect the old boxes to all have IDE connections/HDDs, so that should be a relatively straight-forward operation. If there is a lot of data to copy, this would be my preferred option.

NOTE: Ensure that all power is OFF, and that you "ground" yourself to earth (the metal box) before messing with interior components.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

TO add to the above post you can go here:

Learn how to slave a drive?

Edited by cryptodan, 13 November 2010 - 08:05 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

My telephone/internet service privider recommended a program called Dropbox.com, but I don't think it will work on Windows 98 or ME.

As long as you have Internet access and a browser on each machine it will work. Download and install the application on each machine and transfer the files.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

Neither the 98 nor the ME has a USB port.

It isn't the operating system that gives you USB ports its the computer. If it doesn't have them then it must be a very old computer as my 14 year old spare computer has 2 USB ports around the back and that came with Win95 on it, do a check?

Now I don't know how big these files are that you want to transfer but you could WinZip them and put them on a floppy disc, I presume you have a floppy drive?

It will also depend who your ISP is as some have an online storage system that you can upload files too. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 velma

velma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:31 AM

DropBox is a good option as an online storage.

Try other alternatives:
  • Mozy
  • Omemo
  • Box
  • Dropboks
  • Mediafire
  • in.solit.us
  • divShare
  • Omnidrive
  • Yuntaa
  • YouSendit
  • MediaMax