Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does 631/ipp.cgi in printer talk mean?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

I'm trying to understand my Konica Minolta Magicolor 2300DL manuals so that I can print to my networked printer from w/in a virtual machine. At one point in the add printer process I'm supposed to enter the printer's network path using http: //ipaddress//ipp.cgi or //ipaddress:80// or //ipaddress:631//. cgi seems to refer to an http script, so I'm guessing ipp.cgi says which script to use. I can't find any info as to when to use the 80 or 631 or what either number stands for.

Are these ports? The magicolor is supposed to use port 9100 as its RAW port which one specifies elsewhere. Do networked printers use more than one port for different purposes?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeachBumLI

BeachBumLI

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

Good morning,

I'm not sure what the ipp.cgi stands for, but the 80 and 631 look like they're port numbers.

How is your computer hooked up? Is it wired into another computer on the network, or is it connected via a Ethernet cord directly to the network? If it's wired into the network, I usually find it easiest to give the printer a static IP address, and hook it up using a TCP/IP port. What operating system are you using?
Dell Inspiron 1520--Intel Core 2 Duo/1.5 GHz--2 GB RAM--230 GB HD--Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family--Windows XP--Avast! AV Free--Spybot S&D--Malwarebytes--Hijackthis--Chrome (primary browser) Firefox and IE (rarely used)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users