Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External drive transfer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Telle

Telle

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hi guys,

I need to copy the contents of one external HD to another one. The contents of one drive are a little disorganised though, so when copying over I'd like to move the music files to a directory named 'music'; video to 'video' and so on. However, when I highlight a selection of files to copy and "right click send to", I'm not able to send them to a specific directory , only to the drive itself.

There's a terabyte or so to copy so I'm hoping I won't have to drag them over one by one!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Telle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:59 PM

Highlight (select) your group of files and then drag the whole group to the destination folder of your choice.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, AustrAlien!

Easy when you know how, eh. My files are copying as I type so much appreciated.

If you don't mind I've got another external drive related question. I have a couple of other ext drives which my PC won't recognise when I plug them in. The lights on the drives come on but they don't show up on the computer. Both are just a few months old so within warranty but have important files on which I'd like to erase before sending back for replacement.

From what I can gather the drives may still be working and if mounted in a different enclosure could be accessed. How easy would it be to mount either in my desktop PC or can I buy a cheap enclosure to try and get access that way?

Thanks again.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

I probably should have added this also, but perhaps you already know it:

left-click-drag = COPY (from one hard drive to another)

right-click-drag > you have a choice of COPY OR MOVE

=====================================

Do these external USB hard drives have their own power supplies or are they powered via the USB cable?

"just a few months old so within warranty"
Many enclosures are not designed for easy dis-assembly, and I am thinking you would void the warranty if you were to attempt to remove the hard drive from the enclosure.

You can buy an enclosure (with power supply) to put the hard drive(s) in, or simply a USB adapter (without the enclosure and without the power supply - you use a power supply connection from the computer box). That would certainly be a way of connecting the hard drives to the computer via USB.

Another and perhaps better alternative would be to connect directly to the motherboard of the computer. I am assuming here that 1) the hard drives have SATA connections and 2) your motherboard has a SATA port available to use, along with a spare power supply connection, and that 3) you have a spare SATA data cable to use.

In the meantime try this:
Try different USB ports on the computer.
If you have a powered USB hub, try plugging into that.

Edited by AustrAlien, 13 November 2010 - 08:07 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I copied all my files successfully but will keep those methods in mind.

In answer to your question the drives are standard externals with their own power supplies. I've tried every usb port on two computers without any luck, and also swapped power supplies but still no response. I don't have a powered usb hub so I think I'll try and connect to the motherboard of my desktop (seems the quickest and cheapest way) but I'm not sure whether it has a sata port available/spare power supply etc. I don't mind taking the cover off to investigate though and I can buy a sata cable if the desktop - a Dell Dimension 9200 - is compatible.

I'm not sure if the external drives have sata connections but I'm guessing I can get some kind of adapter if not? A friend has a couple of drives with the same issue but as they're out of warranty I'll try and remove their enclosures before I connect them.

Telle

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

Let us know how things turn out, or if you have any further problems.

I have read comments to the effect that many of the hard drive enclosures (the electronics) sold are cheap and nasty (ie. prone to early failure), so that may well be the case with the ones you are dealing with. As such, there is a very good chance that there may be nothing at all wrong with the hard drives themselves.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Telle

Telle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

I think the enclosures are definitely the problem, they were all working a couple of weeks ago and then suddenly stopped. Three of them are completely encased with no screws at all so would need prising open. But as they are out of warranty I don't mind doing that rather than lose them altogether.

Could you recommend an enclosure that they could all go in, firstly to test they're still alive but to then keep them in to use as extra storage.

I've had enough of external drives dying on me so was wondering whether it would be safer to install an internal drive in my desktop pc instead. I was looking at a 1TB drive but would my pc run properly with a larger drive installed or do you need to also upgrade the ram etc at the same time?

Thanks again

Telle

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

Three of them are completely encased with no screws at all so would need prising open.

Examine the outside of the enclosures looking for likely places for concealed screws (there may be only one). Have a scratch about.

Could you recommend an enclosure that they could all go in, firstly to test they're still alive but to then keep them in to use as extra storage.

Sorry ... I have little experience or knowledge on this subject. There are many and various devices available and your choice is likely to be as good as mine. Bear in mind that hard drives come in two sizes (small/laptop 2.5" wide, and large/desktop 3.5" wide). There is the possibility that you may have hard drives with IDE/ATA connections (and these are of different size for the 2.5" and 3.5" HDD!) as well as SATA connections. If you were to make a new topic with that request in the "External Hardware" forum, I am sure that you would get some suggestions from other staff/members though. I have only a simple "adapter" which is capable of coping with these different HDD's and provides USB connectivity (powered by a spare connector cable from the PSU).

would my pc run properly with a larger drive installed or do you need to also upgrade the ram etc at the same time?

Most PC's are able to handle the installation of a second hard drive without any issues. However, if you are at all concerned that yours may not have that capability, and wish to investigate further and get some advice before actually trying it, then I would suggest that you make a new topic in the "Internal Hardware" forum. Post a complete list of all devices fitted in the PC (RAM sticks, optical drives, hard drives, expansion cards etc), and particularly the details of the PSU (power supply), including the brand and the rated output in watts. Don't forget to include the brand and model of the PC, (or motherboard brand/model and CPU details).
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users