Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 Omnibook Xe2 Errors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DKW

DKW

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:20 PM

I have an omnibook XE2 DE w/win98. It frequently won't boot up and gets a missing dll. powprof routine initialization fail error and also a missing device file mwlink.vxd. Are these the culprits to not booting & ifk so how can I fix? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:17 AM

Hello and Welcome to BC. I'm glad to see you going our community.
Have you run scandisk from the command line in Safe Mode? If not do so. I belive this may solve some of your problems. Have the Win98 disk handy. If you don't you may be able to point to the folder. They are stored in C:\windows\CAB.
To replace the DLL files go to DLL Files.com and search forthe files you need. They will also explain how to install them manually.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

With the 98 CD in the drive, go to Start>Run and type in sfc. This will run the System File Checker utility and replace damaged or missing files. DO NOT replace user.exe.

To get rid of these errors you can also go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Under the Startup tab, uncheck those two entries you are receiving the errors from. Be aware that disabling dll. powprof routine initialization may affect your laptops power settings as regards the battery. The mwlink.vxd is available from HP and we can help you find it if you give us the Model number ie, 500, 5000, etc. Usually this can be found on the bottom of the laptop somewhere.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 DKW

DKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:40 AM

Ok, I'm in the midst of doing what you both suggested and so far so good. Ive done the scandisk in safe and the system file checker and both seemed to go well. I rebooted and still got the missing mwlink.vxd which then led to a fatal exception errror so I guess I do need you to help me w/that . My model number is F1674WT DE. OBXE2.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:35 AM

Try this site.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...&NoWebContent=1

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:34 AM

Are you sure you are not missing nwlink.vxd as opposed to mwlink.vxd? If it is nwlink.vxd go to Start>Run and type in sfc and click Ok. Click Extract one file from the installation disk and type in nwlink.vxd. In Restore from browse to the Win98 CD and in Save file in browse to C:\Windows\System and click Ok. If the extraction is successful a box will pop up saying so.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 DKW

DKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

Yes, after looking more closely it most likely is a "n" and not an m. Its so close to the edge of the screen that it looked like and n. And I will go do what you have suggested next. Thanks

#8 DKW

DKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:41 PM

Well, I did as you advised and am happy to report it has rebooted up to the point of the powerprof.dll error without a nwlink.vxd interruption so think that much may be ok now for the dll file fix. Will try it next-tomorrow prolly-late now. Making progress and I'm pleased. Thanks!

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:50 PM

Here is the MS link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q188213/

#10 DKW

DKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

I'm really having difficulty finding the other posts I submitted a few days ago. I got them in my email and then deleted and now can't find them anywhere in here. Help with how to access them would be appreciated. But in the meantime here's a problem I had submitted before.

I have 2 omnibook XE2's. One is close to running right and the other won't boot up and so I swappped hard drives and with the good harddrive it gets the message "invalid or damaged bootable partition ". What does that mean and what do I need to do next to troubleshoot and / or repair? Thanks.

The one OBXE2 DC with the damaged partition message is an F2055KT .
The other one that I took the good harddrive out of is OBXE2 DE F1674WT.

Thanks!

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:12 PM

You will probably need to reprogram the one with the error message. It is still trying to boot the one it came out of, which is why it has an invalid bootable partition as it isn't valid for that laptop if there are different components. What is the operating system on the one that won't boot?

#12 DKW

DKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

That is the problem-it has no operating system on it. So what can I do to rectify the problem?

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:34 AM

Well I guess you should put one on it. Do you have an OS CD? If so, which one?

Please don't be so reticent about the details as it helps to know what we are dealing with. Being vague doesn't help us help you.

Maybe bookmark this thread?

#14 DKW

DKW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

I have two Omnibooks. One - XE2 F1674WT DE runs slow & have recently gotten errors and think may have corrected them with help from other members here. The other I bought w/ no operating system thinking it would be not much of a big deal to install Win 98 SE but have gotten no where-it is an XE2 F2055KT DC . This one has more memory and a larger screen area so would prefer it to be running . I swapped the hard drives and thats why I said I am now getting the partition error ( above entry). I would really like guidance to get it going . Thanks.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

Have you tried to partition and format the drive. Most buiness sell computers without partitions. Which OS are you going to use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users