Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC This Month

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:59 PM

Hey guys. Im going to be ordering a new PC off of cyberpowerpc.com this month. I have picked out a configuration. And i would appreciate it if some of you guys could take a look and tell me how everything looks. Any problems or palces where money could be spent better just gimme a heads up. here is the link

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1CTBAT

The max i am looking to spend is pretty much where it is at right now. 1150ish. Main thing is i wana know if my mother board and PSU looks good. Also check out my case and see if it looks good. I have ordered from these guys before and everything always works out really nicely. But i would just like some outside input. Thanks guys!
NOTE: I am getting 20% overclocking

Edited by soulshard, 12 November 2010 - 04:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

Crap power supply: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902/1
Corsair,Seasonic, and to a certain point Silverstone are your friends in the PSU department.

"Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e., 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components."

Hot pig of a video card. The GTX460 is a newer/better card with much reduced power/cooling demands.

Not a big fan of that motherboard, but that is a personal thing. If overclocking I usually like a bit more power phases for the CPU power, but that's me, overkill.

Edited by Budapest, 13 November 2010 - 01:21 AM.
Moved from System Building and Upgrading ~BP

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

Okay. So do you think i shud get the 768MB, 1GB, or 2GB 460GTX? Is it worth the price to upgrade? And as far as the mobo goes, it may not be up to ur standards, but it will do right? like i wont have any problems? its still a good board right? As far as PSU goes, how many watts wud u suggest? cud i skimp to 650? or shud i stay safe with 700?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

The 1gig GTX 460 is the sweet spot.

The only reason I picked on that motherboard is that recent MSI boards for AMDs have had voltage problems/components letting the smoke out. I know you are building an Intel X58 system, but I still worry about a 4+1 phase system if you are counting on higher than stock voltages and overclocks. Now HardOCP has nothing bad to say about the board, so I defer to them.

As far as power supplies, go for quality. A good 650 watt PSU would be fine. Even fully loaded your system should pull less than 400 watts, keeping your power supply in it's comfort zone. Just have to stress that cheap/low quality power supplies usually end up biting you in the ass. I would hate to kill a good CPU/motherboard/video card with a POS $45 PSU, even if it is rated 750 watts.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

Okay. I made a changed the PSU, tho Mobo, and the the GPU. Tell me how this looks
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1CTE1U

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

Can't complain about that. Good PSU (Seasonic OEM).

#7 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

cool. thanks very much for the help. the community on this site never disappoints. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users