Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

administrator permission??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sarahscowey

sarahscowey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

I have just used the security tool uninstall guide on this website and it was great!! However the last step in the instructions is to delete the HOSTS file, download it again and save it in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc file. My computer will not let me do this and says I need permission from the administrator!!
What does this mean and how do I obtain permission?
Also what will happen if I can't download this hosts file??
Help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hello, right click on program/file/icon etc, select "Run as Administrator"
You need to replace the Hosts file as this infection also changes your Windows HOSTS file,so your existing one is infected until replaced.

By the way I moved this to Am I Infected from Win7...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 anoft

anoft

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

If this above tip doesnt work then I recommend downloading a peice of software called unlocker. It enables you to bypass admin and you can delete any files you want

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users