Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very noisy floppy disk drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jaypeecee

jaypeecee

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi Folks,

I have just installed a new application on an old PC that has an internal floppy disk drive. Under certain conditions, the application tries to access the floppy drive, which then makes a deafening noise. I have contacted the supplier of this application but they are often slow to respond and I want to do something about this sooner rather than later.

I'm tempted to disable the floppy drive as it's hardly ever used but I'm not sure how best to do this.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JPC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

Just a couple questions out of curiosity. What application did you install on the computer? Can you describe these conditions, and are they something you can duplicate with much success?

Given the age of the computer, I can say that because they haven't sold PCs retail with floppies for some time, there could simply be an issue with the drive itself. Is it a high pitch squeel like metal scraping metal, does it sound more like a fan, or is it more of a tone like a buzzer or speaker of some sort would create?

I'm guessing this is a desktop PC, disabling the floppy is easy enough to do if you really want to. More or less just a matter of going inside the PC and unplugging the ribbon cable and power cable.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

If you can disable the drive in your BIOS...that would be the best solution. There should be a setting for it.

If not, you can disable it in Device Manager.

Or you can simply remove the connections to the drive, assuming it's a desktop. No connection to motherboard/PSU means no floppy.

Louis

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

It would be helpful to know what the app you installed is. Sounds like it is trying to write to the floppy & there is no disk in the drive.

Does the floppy drive work? Can you read data from any disk in the drive?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 jaypeecee

jaypeecee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I must apologize for the unacceptable delay in replying to your comments and suggestions. Sorry!

The application in question is APC PowerChute Personal Edition version 3.0. This software forms part of my UPS battery backup equipment. It turns out that APC probably did not test this latest version of their software on machines that incorporated floppy disk drives (FDDs). In fairness, that's not surprising as FDDs died out several years ago. So, the simplest solution is to revert to version 2 of this software and that should do the trick.

Thanks again for your feedback.

JPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users