Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Errors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

I've posted this in the Windows 7 forum as it is the latest Windows OS; however, this topic extends to any Windows OS as far back as XP (or 95 if you've really been around that long ;p).

Anyway here goes...

What is the worst Windows error message you've ever received? How did you fix it? Not viruses or malware but errors.

Often times, .DLL's go mising or a .OCX becomes corrupted or maybe you got *gasp* fatal exception error. Whatever kind of error it was, I'd like to know about it and if you can.. explain to me how you fixed it.

I'm mostly looking for errors from Windows XP, Vista & 7 but of course any Windows OS error is fine if you really feel like you gotta talk about it because it just made you so mad and you want everyone to know how bad it sucked!

That bein said.. let it roll. Just take a few moments and recount back to that nasty error you got that one (or 7) times.
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

BSOD after a fresh install due to my BIOS not being updated.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:44 AM

Formatted second hard drive without realizing there some important windows files on there which made my computer couldn't boot up when turning it on the next day. I had to reinstall the OS to solve this problem.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Matt8107t

Matt8107t

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

Somehow deleted a .dll that stop all applications, start menu from opening. Had to look up a fix on my blackberry internet browser. Solved the problem by running scndsk.
Laptop
Toshiba Qosmio x305-q705 Intel Core 2 Duo T7350, 8gb pc3 8500 ddr3 1066mhz, NVIDIA® GeForce® 9700M GTS 2303MB total (64-bit): 512MB GDDR3 discrete memory + up to 1791MB shared memory w/NVIDIA® TurboCache™ technology, 320GB HDD (7200rpm), 120 GB second drive, running Windows 7 Ultimate.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Some years ago, I performed clean Windows 2K installation with ethernet cable connected.
Rebooted to all kind of BSODs.
Somehow, I was able to work around them, only to find out a whole bunch of trojans already on my system.
So, that saying about a need of just minutes for your computer to get compromised, if not protected, checks out...

Had to go through fresh install again :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

Some years ago, I performed clean Windows 2K installation with ethernet cable connected.
Somehow, I was able to work around them, only to find out a whole bunch of trojans already on my system.
So, that saying about a need of just minutes for your computer to get compromised, if not protected, checks out...

I always disconnect from Internet when doing things like this or adding anti-malware software to a new computer.

I'm really paranoid about this exact scenario so I've always tried to do what I could to prevent it. Which boils down to just staying off the web until the box is secure.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Its odd this is like the only 2nd report in my many years of IT Experience that this happened. I install all my OSes with the Ethernet cable connected, and have yet to infect myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users