Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer infected by virus that generates .exe programs at start up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nirvan B

Nirvan B

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:20 AM

Hi,
It seems my computer has been infected by virus/malware. Here are the symptoms. When I start up my PC "Windows Security Alert" asks me to block a program from accessing internet connections. The name of the file that the "Security Center" is trying to block keeps changing, the format being nnnn.exe (where nnnn is some randomly generated number). Also the "Microsoft Security Essentials" displays an attention message asking me to clean the computer. When I clean the computer the effect lasts only for the current session and when I start up the computer next time, I am back to the same problem discussed above.

In addition to these symptoms, there is another that needs to be discussed. When I access "Windows Task Manager", it shows two entries in the "Applications" tab named "project1". I don't have any application named project1 running on my computer, so this seems to me like some application running in background. I have run HijackThis and I am attaching the log file.

Please help to clean my computer. My operating system is windows xp and I am using "Microsoft Security Essentials" as my anti-malware.

I am attaching the following files
1. After-StartUp.GIF (The deskop after starting my PC)
2. Cleaned-Up-Items.GIF (Microsoft Security Essentials log after cleaning up the computer)
3. TaskManager.GIF (The application entries named "project1" can be seen)
4. HijackThis.log (The HijackThis log).

regards,
Nirvan.

Please help. Here is the HijackThis log. Please see entry cfdrive32.exe. I think this is a virus, but I don't know how to delete it. I don't find any files with that name on my computer. In "msconfig" I can see the process cfdrive32.exe in StartUp tab. I think de-selecting the entry will prevent the start up of the process, but how do I effectively remove it from my computer.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:35:34 AM, on 11/12/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\cfdrive32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\mHotkey.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Deskjet 1280\Toolbox\mpm.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\cfdrive32.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin\mysqld.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
D:\Downloads\Other Utilities\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\GRA8E1~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotkey] mHotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShowWnd] ShowWnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSSE] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPWS myPrintMileage Agent] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Deskjet 1280\Toolbox\mpm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Driver Setup] C:\WINDOWS\cfdrive32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced DDTML Enable] C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\157407.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKLM\..\Policies\Explorer\Run: [Microsoft Driver Setup] C:\WINDOWS\cfdrive32.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\GR99D3~1.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (read only) (InCDsrvR) - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 6198 bytes

regards,
Nirvan.

EDIT: Posts merged ~BP

Attached Files

Edited by Budapest, 12 November 2010 - 05:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

Please do the following:

Please download DDS from either of these links

LINK 1
LINK 2

and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
---------------------------------------------------
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.

NEXT

Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here to your desktop. It will be a randomly named executable.
  • Double click the exe file.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan.

Posted Image
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Ensure the following are unchecked
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in reply.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users