Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Files shadowed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 I Played WoW

I Played WoW

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

Alright my antivirus software was Norton 360 and I used MalwareBytes for weekly scans (trail version).
The only site with a known risk on it I went on was Photobucket ( not sure what the risks were.. hur...)

Anyway this is what my PC says after the laptop brand logo.
--
1015M system ram passed
cache sram passed 1024k

system bios shadowed
video bios files shadowed

atapi cdrom
fixed disk 0 hts54106 -----

ERROR
warning
0251 system cmos checksum bad
---
After this screen my PC then shuts off, sometimes sooner.

No idea what to do without access to my LAPTOP.

Research says I have to restore my hard drive to factory settings.
No idea how to do that without turning on my PC though.
Any help is greatly appreciated. /wait

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:46 AM

I'm not sure what research could have suggested to you that you'd need to restore the hard drive to factory condition to deal with a CMOS checksum error? And I'm glad you haven't been able to follow up on that advice... :)

The commonest cause of a bad CMOS checksum is a flat CMOS backup battery. What brand and model is your laptop?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 I Played WoW

I Played WoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:53 AM

I'm not sure what research could have suggested to you that you'd need to restore the hard drive to factory condition to deal with a CMOS checksum error? And I'm glad you haven't been able to follow up on that advice... :)

The commonest cause of a bad CMOS checksum is a flat CMOS backup battery. What brand and model is your laptop?

Compaq Presario v5000

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

The CMOS backup battery (also referred to as RTC battery) is a CR2032 button cell. To replace it you'll need to remove the laptop's main battery, open up the cover over the Memory/Mini PCI compartment and remove the WLAN module. The battery is in a holder underneath this module. Replacing it will probably solve the bad checksum error. But afterwards you may also need to go into the CMOS setup using the keypress shown on the startup screen, and set some things like boot device sequence to how you want them.

Are you happy to tackle jobs like this? If you want the service manual to refer to, you can find it from here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=499881

"Manuals" link at lower left on that page.

Edited by Platypus, 13 November 2010 - 03:20 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users