Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with computer powering up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jakeman02

Jakeman02

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hello...I built a AMD 939 based computer with a Chantech VNF4 Ultra MB and AMD 3000 CPU about 5 years ago and it's preformed flawlessly since. I recently got the upgrade bug and just completed my new build. I'm going to give the old machine to my brother for his kids.

I've had the old computer unplugged for about 2 weeks while I built and configured the new one. I finished the new one. then hooked the old one back up so I could reformat the HD and get it ready for my brothers kids.

When I hit the power button everything came on, all fans, LEDs and LAN light on the rear panel but that's as far as it went. I didn't hear the HD run and the reset button wouldn't work, the green power light was flashing rapidly though. I had to hold the power button down to power it back off. Nothing posted on the monitor in fact nothing showed on the monitor, just like it wasn't detecting it. I tried again several times with the same results, every thing powered up but didn't post and the green power light was constantly blinking rapidly.

I think I've got the issue narrowed down but I'm far from an experienced and need input. I reset cmos with the pins and tried it again, same thing. So I let it sit for about and hour plugged into the AC and tried it again. It did the same thing the first try but on the second it fired up. Everything posed, Windows loaded and is acting normally. I shut down and restarted several times since then and it's been fine.

This leads me to believe it's the battery on the motherboard since it's so old and nothing else solved the issue until I left it plugged into the AC for about and hour....am I correct in that assumption? If I am correct are these batteries readily available at places like batteries plus which I have local? My bro is coming to get it this weekend and I don't want him to have the same issue so I would like to get it locally if that's the problem. If it's not or I need to check anything else please let me know. All input is very much appreciated.

Thanks, James

Edited by Jakeman02, 11 November 2010 - 10:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:34 AM

The CMOS battery is the likely culprit. Go ahead and replace it: They are cheap and commonly available.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Jakeman02

Jakeman02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

Thanks, It seems like it should be, everythig was fine before I unplugged it for a long period of time and stated working again once I had pluged it in for an hour or so, before that nothing. I'll get one in the morning and hope that's it as I really don't want to get into a tear down and replacing parts for somthing I'm going to give away.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:35 AM

If you have a voltmeter handy, you could test the battery out of curiosity.

New = 3.3 volt

OK = 3.0 volt

time to replace it before it gets too flat = 2.8 volt
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Jakeman02

Jakeman02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:03 AM

I don't have a meter. I'll take it with me when I go tomorrow I'm sure they will test it for me.

I don't know if this is the battery reading or not but in speedfan I've got a Vbat colum that says 2.70V.

Oh, I do have one final question. When I replace the battery do I need to reset CMOS with the jumper or just leave it as is and replace the battery?

Edited by Jakeman02, 12 November 2010 - 02:05 AM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:37 AM

in speedfan I've got a Vbat colum that says 2.70V.

That would be it.

Just replace battery. No need to reset CMOS.

Just make sure that the time and date are correct .... and if there are no other warnings or notices, you should be right to go.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 Jakeman02

Jakeman02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Well I left it uplugged while I was at work today and replaced the battery when I got home. Everything booted up as normal on the first try. Hope that took care of it anyway. Vbat in Speedfan is showing a little higher at 2.72, not a big difference though. Thanks for the help

Edited by Jakeman02, 12 November 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Everything booted up as normal on the first try. Hope that took care of it anyway. Vbat in Speedfan is showing a little higher at 2.72, not a big difference though.

Good: You are back in business again.

The figure reported by Speedfan may not be accurate, in that case. You may also be able to check the voltage reported in the BIOS Setup Menu, and that would be more likely to be (more) accurate. (Find the page in BIOS that reports CPU temperature etc.)

A voltmeter is the best method of course ... but, as strange as it may seem to me, not everyone carries one around with them all the time!

Take care.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 Jakeman02

Jakeman02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Everything booted up as normal on the first try. Hope that took care of it anyway. Vbat in Speedfan is showing a little higher at 2.72, not a big difference though.

Good: You are back in business again.

The figure reported by Speedfan may not be accurate, in that case. You may also be able to check the voltage reported in the BIOS Setup Menu, and that would be more likely to be (more) accurate. (Find the page in BIOS that reports CPU temperature etc.)

A voltmeter is the best method of course ... but, as strange as it may seem to me, not everyone carries one around with them all the time!

Take care.

I checked the Bios it's reporting the same thing Speedfan is. It's working now so I'm hoping that was it and pretty convinced it was at this point. Anyway I have nowhere else to go unless it does it again.

Your wisdom transends oceans. I picked up a voltmeter yesterday so in the future or if I have to tear this one back down will come in handy.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

I checked the Bios it's reporting the same thing Speedfan is. .... Anyway I have nowhere else to go unless it does it again.

Curious? Yes, probably not much else you can do unless/until it plays up again.

"Your wisdom transcends oceans. I picked up a voltmeter yesterday ..." Cute! I hope it serves you well, if not often.

Best of luck.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users