Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Non-system disk or disk error"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi there, I have a compaq nc6220 which keeps giving me a HP screen with "F10-ROM Based Setup" message which then goes to
"Non-system disk or disc error
replace and strike any key when ready"

There is no disc in and it wont read the Windows 7 disc at all.

I have hit F10 and it gave me a "Computer Setup" blue screen but nothing seems to make a difference there.
I tried restoring defaults, but it goes back to the "F10-ROM Based Setup" page and the non-system message.
After a few minutes, it goes to a "Drivelock Multibay Password key symbol" blue box.

I dont really know anything about this stuff, but tried to research on line and have seen that it seems to come up, but any info I have found on line does not apply or work. I cant get it to go into BIOS, not that I know what to do there, and taking the battery out or turning off does not affect. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kelly

Edited by kellygirrl2, 11 November 2010 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

oh, and the fan keeps running as well.
and the cd tray pops open occasionally. it has actually been doing that for a while. Now I am wondering if it's a virus. Gosh I am an ignorant computer user... :P

Edited by kellygirrl2, 11 November 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

it wont read the Windows 7 disc at all

While booting from it?
Did it just happen, all of sudden, apparently for no reason?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:48 PM

yes, as far as i know. when i turned the computer on this am, the above info is what i got and i can't do a thing with it.
i tried to put the windows 7 disc in, but nothing happened, and full disclosure, there is a 64 bit and a 32 bit disc and i dont know which i need to use. my brother in law set this up for me.

Edited by kellygirrl2, 11 November 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

Are you actually trying to boot from Windows 7 DVD?
Make sure, the "boot order" in BIOS is set properly.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

no i am not trying to boot from the disc. the computer is stuck. it wont do anything or at least i cant make it do anything.
i turned it on this am, and got the f-10 screen.
i cannot get to the bios screen, and i dont really know what to do if it gets there.
i'm sorry if my original post was not clear.
i can try to reexplain if necessary. thank you.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

You may have hard drive problem.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

I'm not sure you are reading or understanding my posts thoroughly, but i appreciate your efforts for helping me.
Do you know if the
Blue "Computer Setup" page that comes up after I push F10 is a BIOS page?
I dont know if it is, but it does give me the option to change the boot options.
It gives an option to Enable or Disable Multiboot
If I enable, I can change the boot order, currently, boot from CD-ROM is listed fifth.
And again, if I were to try to reboot from a cd, I dont know if I would use the 32 bit disc or the 64 bit disc.

About all I can do with the computer at this point is go to this "computer set up" page, as it keeps getting stuck on the
"Non-system disk or disc error
replace and strike any key when ready" page

This of course, does not allow me to run any hard drive diagnostic tools.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

If I enable, I can change the boot order, currently, boot from CD-ROM is listed fifth.

You have to change it, so CD drive is listed first.
Then, create hard drive diagnostic CD as I described earlier and boot from it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

just to be clear, i know next to nothing about computers, other than to surf the web.
i do not see anything in the directions you gave me about how to create a disk or determine what kind of hard drive i have if the computer wont do anything but go between those few pages i have already mentioned.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Since the computer is not booting, unfortunately, you'll have to open the case (some help from a friend, maybe?) and take a look at hard drive brand.

i do not see anything in the directions you gave me about how to create a disk

Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 kellygirrl2

kellygirrl2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:46 PM

ok, well it is a fujitsu, and i see there is a fujitsi program or maybe i should go to toshiba, but there are alot of numbers on here and i dont know how to further determine what kind of fujitsu drive it is.

for ex, on the toshiba site it says (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) or (For SCSI Hard Drives).

do you know how i can determine?

thx.

ok.. looks like its ide...

Edited by kellygirrl2, 11 November 2010 - 10:56 PM.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:07 AM

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users