Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long does she have Doc?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RockerBug17

RockerBug17

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

So, after asking on the forums about a potential hardware problem, I was graced with this lovely screen today after a reboot. I quickly ordered a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT drive as a replacement. It looks like a really solid drive, and I may even get a little performance boost out of the deal.

Anywho, I was told by a cousin that Seagate had some software to make cloning a drive easy. My question is, will using DiskWizard make an exact copy of my current drive? I know that's what cloning implies, but I just want to make sure that there won't be any issues with Windows XP and it's legitimacy.

I also need to get a good external USB HDD enclosure. Any recommendations or could I possibly use an enclosure from one of my HP Personal Media Drives?

And finally, the most important question, what can I do to ensure my current HDD lasts until I get the necessary equipment to complete the cloning process? Complete shutdown? Sleep mode? Leave it on and alone?

And as always, thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

If you have a troubled hard drive...the best thing you can do is stop using it, if you intend to get any files from it.

I've had/have many Seagate drives...but I've never used Disk Wizard (because I've always owned cloning software since 2000 or so) but I would think that their description/directions for using utilities/software...should be reliable.

Louis

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong .... but you have ordered a 2.5" laptop HDD to replace the 3.5" HDD in a desktop PC?

If that is so, you could have a problem?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

If I'm reading the specs correctly and making the correct assumption. The 500GB Seagate Momentus XT he ordered is 7200 rpm, thats typical of a desktop HDD, laptop drives don't spin that fast that I have seen. I too could be wrong though...

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:54 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong .... but you have ordered a 2.5" laptop HDD to replace the 3.5" HDD in a desktop PC?

That's what I see as well.

The 500GB Seagate Momentus XT he ordered is 7200 rpm, thats typical of a desktop HDD, laptop drives don't spin that fast that I have seen.

Actually, there a 2.5 hdds that will operate as high as 15,000 RPM. Check out these at Newegg.

Edited by dc3, 12 November 2010 - 01:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

Drive mentioned for possible purchase seems to be SSD.

Louis

#7 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

The 500GB Seagate Momentus XT he ordered is 7200 rpm, thats typical of a desktop HDD, laptop drives don't spin that fast that I have seen.

Actually, there a 2.5 hdds that will operate as high as 15,000 RPM. Check out these at Newegg.

That is sexy, too bad I'm stuck with IDE for the moment.

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

It's a hybrid, cross between mechanical and ssd. You can use a 2.5 inch drive in a desktop, no problem, but you will most likely need an adapter to mount it in the space provided for a 3.5 inch drive.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#9 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:37 AM

Sorry for my late reply; typing with the Wiimote can be a pain, lol. To answer the question, I am aware that the drive I ordered is typically a laptop drive. I tried to research the drive before my current one became a problem and I was under the impression that the drive would work in either desktop or laptop without any extra gadets.

I do, however, need some recommendations on a good usb external encloseure for the Seagate drive I ordered so that I can start the cloning process ASAP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users