Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Operating System?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gptprincess

gptprincess

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

I recently tried to perform a system restore to factoring settings on a computer I have that runs Windows XP. When it booted up it shows:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file"

I spoke to several people about this and came to the conclusion that I need the Windows XP discs since I don't have the backup CD anymore. Does anyone know where I can find them? I was told I would have to purchase Windows XP again but I'm not sure if that is true.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

You may have to perform a repair install via the Windows XP Installation CD's.

#3 Digital Crisis

Digital Crisis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

As long as you have the license key, there is no reason to purchase Windows XP again, you can burn a copy of the Windows CD, just make sure you have the correct version, OEM (usually ships with manufactured machines, sounds like your case) or Retail (a box copy of XP from a store), then make you you get the right Version of XP as far as Home and Professional goes. You may be lucky and even be able to contact the PC manufacturer and they'll send you the restore CDs for about 30 bucks.

#4 gptprincess

gptprincess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I already tried to get them from the manufacturer but I was told since I purchased it awhile ago they couldn't provid me with them. Is there a link to the place where I can find the CD on the Microsoft website? I can't boot up the computer so I can't burn anything with it. I am using a different computer to post on this forum.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

I think that you misunderstand what was intended.

Microsoft doesn't provide downloadable copies for burning...what was meant is that you can borrow a CD from a friend with a legit copy of MS Genuine XP or have the friend burn you a copy.

If I'm the one misunderstanding (happens often :)), then just ignore.

Louis

#6 gptprincess

gptprincess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

I don't have any friends that have the Windows XP operating system. The PC I want to restore is Windows Vista capable. Would I be able to use a copy of that to restore it?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

I'm not sure what you are referring to as being "Windows Vista capable". Does this mean that your computer meets the criteria for installing Vista?

The bottom line is no, if you have XP installed you can't use a Vista installation disk to make any changes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users