Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot, safe mode boot stops at kdcom

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 msgsu

msgsu

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

WinXP sp3 will not boot. Black screen where Win logo should go after post. In safe mode boot, stops after 3rd item loaded.

Found on the net may be due to MS update or virus, but cannot find confirmed fix. User confirmed MS update occurred on shut down last night and that she got a virus notice before calling me. Another forum suggested chkdsk /p/r, but did not fix. Tried reseating ram and hdd data cable.

This is the 4th workstation I have had to do grave emergency work to this week. Any suggestions to get this back online would be GREATLY appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

System and manufacturer?

You've checked the system manufacturer's website...for possible solutions when the system fails to boot properly?

I know that HP routinely provides such for their systems and I suspect that most do.

Louis

#3 msgsu

msgsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

Sorry, just found the Xp Boot "fixes" sticky above. FIXMBR got it back online. Thanks mucho.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

Nice self-help, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users