Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access The Internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Neely

Andrew Neely

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

I hope someone has some ideas for me on this.

I have a friend who has a computer with WinXP Pro. All of a sudden, she was unable to access the internet. As best I could tell, she didn't install or uninstall any software that led to this problem. I've tried several things to resolve the problem, none of them worked. I've done the following.

I've tested her broadband connection by plugging in my laptop. The laptop was able to access the internet while her computer wasn't.
I've ran adaware, removing several spyware programs.
I've tried to uninstall then reinstall the network stack.
I've tried swapping out the nick with a known good one.
I've tried moving her NIC to another PCI slot, just in case the one it was in was bad.
I've even tried deleting the hard disk's partition, re-partitioning, re-formatting, and reinatalling windows XP Pro.

She has an ambit cable modem connected to her machine by a ethrnet connection.

Any help would be apprecieated. She can't afford another computer, and needs the internet for college.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

I'm sure there are some messages or other symptoms you can post that would help us get a better idea of what's going on. Double check the connection itself (Start > Settings > Network Connections) to make sure everything is set up properly.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

Could be a bad NIC.

Even if Windows shows it to be in good working order it could be bad. Do you have another NIC to swap out and try?

BTW, at first it sounded like malware infection that caused the problem, but if you have properly formatted and reinstalled Windows then that is unlikely, but still a possiblity. Sometimes malware can corrupt a part of Windows called Winsock 2, causing the internet connection to be lost. There are some utlities that can usually remedy this situation, but so will formatting and reinstalling Windows.

Check to see if the proper driver has been installed on the NIC and if Windows sees it as working properly.

Start > right click on My Computer > Manage > Device Manager

Then click on the NIC in the list (probably under Network Adaptors).

EDIT: Ok, after re-reading your post I see you swapped the nic already. But was that before reformatting etc? If so, and you now have a clean installation of Windows and still don't have a connection, try swapping it again. But follow the ideas on the rest of my post above as well. Let us know!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 November 2005 - 03:00 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:06 AM

WinSock XP Fix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.

Download WinSock XP Fix from any of these locations:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

This utility will make a backup of parts of your Windows registry, reset your TCP/IP settings and replace your existing Winsock2 registry entries with a default set and replace your Hosts file with a default one.

Winsock Repair Tutorial: http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/spyware/WinFix/
Tutorial with pictures: http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Ramesh's Windows XP Troubleshooting - Repair/Reset Winsock settings:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:03 PM

Try unplugging and holding down the rest button on the cable modem for 1 min. It is important that you unplug your modem so that the modem can reset. Is there another computer you can or have connected to the cable modem? Are you running a router? Have you checked to make sure the ethernet cable has not been damaged (cat, dog, other pets?)?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:49 PM

You may just try calling your ISP that solved my problem. We so often want to blame our computer for internet problems when quite often it is the internet or ISP's problem.

Edit:
Let me expand a bit

For several weeks my connection had been dropping out and not being able to re-establish connection. It wont resolve the gateway and DNS.To make a long story short I tested my connection with every tool available thru IP config and a few 3rd party tools.
Now understand that when the connection was up it tested perfectly, it just wouldn't stay up. So I finally went and got a new modem and bingo no problems for almost a week. Then this AM about 1:00 no connection again. Went thru the whole nine yards again. At about 9:00 AM I called R&R and a Tech was supposed to come out, about 45 mins later my connection came up [no tech had been here yet]and has been up ever since.

I would have to say that somewhere somebody found something not working right and fixed it. Cause it sure wasn't anything done here at the house.

So give it a try call your ISP.

Edited by dannyboy 950, 26 November 2005 - 09:49 PM.

#7 :) :(

:) :(

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 08:51 PM

i'm not an expert but i did have this problem also. Its some type of spyware that changes the connections on your computer to whatever it wants i'm thinking, and some how you just dont seem to have internet.
One thing i did was redue my whole computer from scatch and start from brand new, this will work for a day or so and then the virus or whatever will start to set in. Do what you can for protection but your internet provider can't help you, i've tried it al ready

#8 :) :(

:) :(

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

believe it or not i just ran into this problem a few hours ago. First thing i did was:

delete all my programs related to firewalls or a actuall firewall program
and then i re enstalled it.

there was something up with my firewall and virus protection that cutted off all my conections. Even when i cutted off my firewall, it still didn't work. But for some reason i knew it was my firewall, so all i did were my steps.

Hope this works for your girl aie.
just be glad its not you, i think.
reply back if you want to.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: - that could be the virus's way of getting you to get rid of all your protection - then it's free to do what it wants. Watch your outgoing traffic, and your sensitive information on your hard drive!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users