Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I uninstall Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cranqueen

Cranqueen

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

In an attempt to get uninstall a rogue anti-virus, I downloaded Secunia which is NOT working as I had expected. (Clicking on the solutions just opens a weird word document that does not offer a solution) and since I downloaded it, my computer is so SLOW that it is crawling. I cannot figure out how to uninstall Secunia. Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

Have you tried going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Scroll down the list when populated to Secunia PSI and removing.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Cranqueen

Cranqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

I would like to post a print screen of my Control Panel, there is no "add or remove programs" there. I am running Windows Vista... do I look elsewhere for it?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

Try this method. First check in the system tray by the clock for the PSI icon. Right click it and select something that says End,close,exit etc...

Go to the uninstall tool in the folder and click on the Uninstall tool
C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

In Vista its called programs and software or something to that extent.
I noticed Secunia slowing my system down as well.
Basically what it does it to make sure all your programs are up to date
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

there is no "add or remove programs" there. I am running Windows Vista... do I look elsewhere for it?

In Vista, that would be "Programs and Features".

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 November 2010 - 08:59 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

I never let it run in the background. I only use it once a month to make sure I'm up to date. Then when I'm up to date, I close it completely till next month. Make sure you remove it from startup list as well, if thats the direction you want to go.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Cranqueen

Cranqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

When I click in the system tray, the only options I see are: Open Secunia, Reload Interface, and About Secunia. I attempted to delete it from Programs, it begins to delete and then it tells me I need "permission", even though I am logged on as the administrator? I am sorta a newbie at this kind of stuff. Can you explain how to remove it from Start-up.. that might be all I need.

Additionally, whenever I do let it run and click on solution, Word opens and a weird unreadable document with symbols and jibberish opens up that is no help whatsoever. I am not getting any benefit from Secunia at all. But it would be nice to at least stop it from running everytime I log on.

Edited by Cranqueen, 13 November 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

To stop PSI from launching @ startup & running in the background, open the GUI & select the settings tab---clear the checkmark next to Start the Secunia PSI on boot

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 November 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#10 Cranqueen

Cranqueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

Thank you. I finally was able to stop Secunia from launching at start-up. I would really love to be able to utilize this software, but as I said below if I click on "solution" either a weird unreadable WORD document opens up OR I get "an error occurred while attempting to open the specified URL" . Even though it continues to warn me that I have 5 programs that are insecure, I cannot "get" an answer as to what to do about them: Adobe Air 1.x . Adobe Flash Player 10.x Adobe Flash Player 10.x Adobe Reader 8.x and Microsoft Windows Vista. AND YES, Adobe Flash Player 10.x is listed TWICE... Any suggestions?

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

Flash is listed twice because there are different versions for IE and Firefox. When Secunia wants to update a program, it gives you a direct link to do so. If it's not giving you that, maybe it's corrupted. I don't know. I've used Secunia for three years and never had a problem with it.

#12 Accommodation

Accommodation

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

I had this problem when uninstalling PSI 2 from Win 7 x64. PSI wouldn't complete the uninstall process, it hung shortly after starting.

I managed to get around the problem by installing the latest version of PSI - PSI 3 - which has its own built in uninstaller which DOES remove PSI 2. Then you can uninstall Version 3 in the usual way if you want.

#13 mbaxter90

mbaxter90

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

HELLOOOOOO Good people, 

Just had this problem on my parents Win Vista desktop and the last post is accurate, but let me just expand on what i found out. First, if youve gone to the programs and features window and you were able to uninstall it that way, CONGRATS. If you were not able to do it this way then try this. Go to the exact location of the Secunis PSI program (C:\program files\Secunis) and go as far in as you can. somewhere in the folder there is an uninstal.exe. double click on it and it should uninstall the program. after that is finished you can delete all the files in the secunis folder and then the secunis folder itself. 

Good luck and Godspeed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users