Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy To the Default User profile

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

Once again here I am looking to you all to re-learn how to do something…

I’ve created the master profile I want to use. Now I want to make it the Default User profile. OK, we reboot – log on as the Local Admin - go to System Properties - Advanced – User Profiles – Settings – select the profile to be copied AND… the Copy To button is grayed out!

How does one copy the New & Improved Master Profile and make it the Default User profile?

On a side note the New & Improved profile is a whopping 5.68G is size! It all seems to be located in the Local, Low Local and Roaming folders. How important is this stuff to my new profile? Anything to do with XP Mode I need for and older app?
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

You can read this: How to fix a damaged profile to see if it will do what you want. Althought I think you will need to view that advanced tab as administrator.

#3 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

Mystery solved! - Well a portion of it anyway... The 5.68G Profile has 5.39G of Virtual Machine HD Image. This little beauty is found at C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines. We need the VirtPC (XPMode) to run some legacy apps so I guess this is gonna be a part of the Default User profile for a while. Anyone have experience with this? Can I make the image smaller? Does the image HAVE to be a part of every user’s profile? Any other words of wisdom?
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

What Legacy Applications are you running?

#5 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

We have a custom Records Management System. The client side is not compatable with Win7... yet.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

THen i Have to ask why did you upgrade to Windows 7?

#7 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

This is just a Beta to test the waters. The Really Good Reason to make the switch... is because someone in the Head Shed has Win7 at home and wants it here. No one from IT (all 2 of us) is invited to those meetings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users