Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows cannot find local profile. . . "

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tmgreene364

tmgreene364

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

Had a horrible problem with malware which bleepingcomputer helped me with. (thank you) At that time, several profiles were "lost." Got everything back and it worked well for several weeks. Then got the message again that the local profile could not be found/located; loading temporary profile. I used system recovery and went back to the good date I had following the major clean up. All is restored, until a few weeks later. Been playing this game and I'm tired of it. (I'm at home again, so I can work on problem.) What causes this to happen and how can I stop it? Also, using winPatrol and keep getting messages about QuickTime wanting to install something at startup. Been check no, but it gets very aggravating for son and husband as it pops up more than it does on my profile.

Thanks!

Tami Greene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

IME...anytime a temporary profile is used...that's an indication that the standard profile is damaged.

In such cases, I would create a new profile and move the settings/files from the damaged profile...to the newly created one and then delete the old one.

As to why a profile becomes damaged...any file can become damaged at any time, IMO.

Re Quicktime...I suggest uninstalling it (it's one of my least favorite programs). If you must install/use it...then I suggest that you pay attention to all the options that you enable by default when installing it. Due to lack of info provided, I can't suggest more than that.

You may want to become a member of the QT forum, http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=122 .

Louis

#3 tmgreene364

tmgreene364
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Thanks! I'll start working on creating the new profiles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users