Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are some of the casues of a network drive disconnecting?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sunflower1

Sunflower1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

There are about 10 computers networked to a server. A couple of those computers keep disconnecting. By disconnected I mean that each day it says that the network drive for the same 2 computers are disconnected.

What could cause this? Also, why would the network drives for 2 computers disconnect and not all.

Edited by Sunflower1, 11 November 2010 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:31 PM

Added details.

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:37 AM

Might the users of those two computers disconnect themselves? Security issues possible here?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 Vonnegut

Vonnegut

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Is it the same 2 users every time? Does the problem happen if they log into different computers? Does this happen while they are logged in, or does it happen after hours like they have a scheduled backup to a network drive, but it fails?

Personally I would re-map the network drives, or make sure they are connecting to the drive with the proper credentials and have permissions to read/write on the drive.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

Is it a computer used to serve files or a true server using some version of windows server software? Are the computers on a domain or is this a workgroup? How are the drives mapped by name or IP?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

It happens to the same two computers and we have not tried to log those users in from different locations. It normally happens when the computer isn't used for some hours

Is it a computer used to serve files or a true server using some version of windows server software? Are the computers on a domain or is this a workgroup? How are the drives mapped by name or IP?

Just by name and it's a domain setting

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

Try mapping them by Ip and they should stop disconnecting. Are you using the DHCP from the server or from a router. Often when workstations renew and address from a router the temporary shift can disconnect them from shares and other network based connections in a domain seting
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

OK, I will try that. I'm using the DHCP from the server

#9 Sunflower1

Sunflower1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

The network drive was connected to a Partition that was getting low on memory. Things were changed to connect to a Partition that wasn't low on memory. The network drives have not been disconnecting since this change. I don't know if the low memory was causing the issue or not but for now I will let things be until the network drives start to disconnect again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users