Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro will not start up...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 superhillcat

superhillcat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hello, first off, I'm not very good at computer stuff so please forgive me if I don't know all the technical words and things, and yall probably know what certain error messages say, but I'll write them all out anyway. My HP laptop won't start up, and I don't have the recovery disc or anything... It runs on Windows XP Pro and when I turn it on, it goes to a black error type screen that reads as follows:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your compouter stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, shose Last Known Good Configuation to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Then it gives the Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally options. I have selected all of the options and they each take me to the Windows XP logo screen then a blue error screen flashes really quickly (I cannot read it) and then the computer shuts off and turns back on automatically and goes to the same black error type screen. It's doing this continuous loop by itself.

I followed another website's advice and pressed f8 when the computer first starts to turn on and that takes me to another black screen that is as follows:

Windows Advanced Optoins Menu
Please select and option:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Comand Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu

The other site said to select Disable automatic restart on system failure. It took me to the following blue error screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop Error Screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. CHeck your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78b2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Once I get to this screen, I can't do anything but restart the computer. I can't check for viruses and I know there isn't any newly installed anything on it. I don't normally download files or anything, though I did download some songs a couples of weeks ago from Windows Live (I think that's where). I watch youtube a lot too if that matters.

I really only need to get into it to get some songs and pictures off of it, I am probably going to get a new one soon. That's all I've done to it and I would appreciate any help :D Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

What model laptop?

Louis

#3 superhillcat

superhillcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Is pavilion a model? On the front it says HP Pavilion Entertainment PC and on the bottom the product number is HP Pavilion dv9000....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

I would start Here and go through the HP suggestions.

I would also take a look at Troubleshooting Tips

Louis

#5 superhillcat

superhillcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

Thanks, I'll definitely try that right now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users