I ran a system restore back to Nov. 1. This restored SOME functionality. I was able to update my Mcafee software, including their virtual technician (it couldn't fix the problem). I also downloaded Malware antibytes, Adaware, Spybot search and destroy, cwshredder, and hijackthis. All recommended for my issue.
They only work in safe mode. Otherwise they freeze at some point in the scan. Each has found a group of problems that I have trashed. I ran hijack this but will need help with the results.
The problem remains.
It SOUNDS like the coolwebsearch that cwshredder is supposed to get rid of but it won't update, nor does it find anything.
I do have log files and the computer is backed up to an external hard drive, both for a complete system restore and as individual data files (less likely to be infected).
Whatever you need me to post to fix this, let me know. Update: I have attached the dds log, and run defogger. I tried once to post the gmer log, but as I was running it, my machine crashed. I will try again and post if I can. I can post the hijackthis log as well if required.
Oh yes- Win XP, SP3.
Update: I tried gmer both in regular and safe mode- it keeps crashing the computer. On reboot it says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I am posting the hijack this log in its place... hope this helps.
Merged posts. ~ OB
Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 November 2010 - 10:36 PM.