Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot From Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mudcat24

mudcat24

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hey I have 2 desktops. 1 of them I've been using regularly for a while now and has been working perfectly. The other one crashed a long time ago and I could never get it to work so its just been laying around.
Today i decided to see what i had in the hard drive of the computer that crashed. So i inserted the hard drive into the good desktop and had both hard drives hooked up together with the same ribbon cable.
However, i didn't change the master/slave on the hard drive from the bad desktop (is that REALLY important?). The good computer didnt turn on so i removed the hard drive that i put in and now the computer that has been working fine doesnt boot up.

Is it possible that the old hard drive (the one from the computer that crashed a long time ago) was messed up and now it messed up the good one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:17 AM

hi,not likely the bad hdd did anything to the good one . i would unplug the ribbon cable from the motherboard and the good drive and then reconnect it to make sure its connected correctly and making a good connection to the board and drive,you may have just loosened it hooking up the bad driver.and yes if the drives are ATA ide drive the jumper settings are very important .
giving the bad drive should be set as master i would try using connection you cdrom drive and using it cable to try connecting it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Tingnome

Tingnome

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

If this is still not booting try putting it all back the way it was, unplug the good computer and remove the CMOS battery (If you dont know how to do this/what I mean let me know and I can explain) leave it out for a good solid 15 min or so and then try booting her back up!

Cheers!

Hey I have 2 desktops. 1 of them I've been using regularly for a while now and has been working perfectly. The other one crashed a long time ago and I could never get it to work so its just been laying around.
Today i decided to see what i had in the hard drive of the computer that crashed. So i inserted the hard drive into the good desktop and had both hard drives hooked up together with the same ribbon cable.
However, i didn't change the master/slave on the hard drive from the bad desktop (is that REALLY important?). The good computer didnt turn on so i removed the hard drive that i put in and now the computer that has been working fine doesnt boot up.

Is it possible that the old hard drive (the one from the computer that crashed a long time ago) was messed up and now it messed up the good one?

#4 mudcat24

mudcat24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

Hey I unlpugged the cables and then reconnected them and it booted up :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help guys!!! I thought I lost it.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hey I unlpugged the cables and then reconnected them and it booted up :thumbsup:
Thanks for the help guys!!! I thought I lost it.

that has happened to me with so many [usually other peoples ] computer ,that why i suggested it , good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

You can get around having to set the jumpers by doing what caperjac suggested.
Disconnect the IDE and power cables from your cdrom drive and connect the second drive to the system that way. Its much easier than setting jumpers
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users