Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Modem Installation - Dell Workstation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mart55

mart55

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:59 AM

Help Please. I have a Dell Precision Workstation 340, 1.6 GHz, Bios A03 running Windows 2000/NT. A friend gave me this off-lease computer. The system works fine, but I can not get a modem installed. I purchased a relatively cheap internal modem (Diamond SupraMax 56) and installed in one of the free PCI slots. I've tried it in all four. The system recognizes that there is a modem installed, but it seems to have a problem getting the device to work. When I look at the device it says:
Modem
BDP
The device cannot start (Code 10)
PCI slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 9, function 0)

When I look at System setup the IRQ settings are as follows:
IRQ 3 Available
IRQ 4 Available
IRQ 5 Reserved
IRQ 7 Available
IRQ 10 Available
IRQ 11 Available
IRQ 14 Reserved
IRQ 15 Available

The system has a 3Com network adapter (PCI bus 2, device 12, function 0)

Can anyone help? I've tried two different modems in all four free PCI slots.

Thanks in advance!
mart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

:thumbsup: to BC mart55,

Did the cheap modem come with a Win2000 driver?

Code 10
If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Recommended resolution

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,193 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:15 PM

Hello Mart:
First do you have the latest service pack http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/

And read jg's post on updates http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/23237/attention-windows-2000-users/

This appears to be a driver update issue after your packs are updated. Probably caused by disconncting a USB hub that had devices connected when pulled from the compy. If it isn't solved with the service pack

Use this fix.. (I do not have 2000 this is how with XP,but I think you'll beable to follow it) Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Well I see as i was typing this the alwats speedy Rimmer is already there. Good Job there Rimmer. Any way make sure you update those service paks

Edited by boopme, 25 November 2005 - 08:18 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 mart55

mart55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:01 AM

Rimmer & Boopme,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried to install the service pack indicated - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/

The system says it "is not a valid Win 32 application". Microsoft's site indicates that this service pack can not be installed on a system running Windows NT. My system indicates that it has SP4 installed. Under properties it says Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, Service Pack 4. All the system files are in a WINNT folder.

The cheap modem I bought does have a driver for Windows 2000, but I'm not sure if they will work for Windows NT.

Any thoughts? Do I need to buy a modem specifically designed with drivers for Windows NT?

Thanks again.

mart

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

Service pack 4 is the most current SP. From my research there was not an XP or W2k driver written for this modem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

There was a rollup after Svc Pack 4 for Win 2K

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

The cheap modem I bought does have a driver for Windows 2000, but I'm not sure if they will work for Windows NT.

Windows 2000 = Win2K = Windows NT v5 so the Windows 2000 driver is the one you want to use.

The download link for the SP4 update rollup is here -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

- try that page.

Remove the modem, delete it from Device Manager, install the "rollup", shutdown and install the modem, reboot and then load the win2000 drivers. See what happens.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 mart55

mart55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Rimmer,

I downloaded the hotfix, but when I try to run the .exe file I get the message ".....is not a valid Win 32 application." This thing is really frustrating .... just want to install a modem. Below is the system summary and environment summary:

System Information report written at: 12/03/2005 03:09:28 PM
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name VALUED-5D46F8E4
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Precision WorkStation 340
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~1595 Mhz
BIOS Version 04/18/02
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\system32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name VALUED-5D46F8E4\mfh
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 523,280 KB
Available Physical Memory 437,500 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,800,828 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,648,024 KB
Page File Space 1,277,548 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

System Information report written at: 12/03/2005 03:14:18 PM
[Environment Variables]

Variable Value User Name
ComSpec %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe <SYSTEM>
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS 1 <SYSTEM>
OS Windows_NT <SYSTEM>
Os2LibPath %SystemRoot%\system32\os2\dll; <SYSTEM>
Path %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem <SYSTEM>
PATHEXT .COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE x86 <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2, GenuineIntel <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_LEVEL 15 <SYSTEM>
PROCESSOR_REVISION 0102 <SYSTEM>
TEMP %SystemRoot%\TEMP <SYSTEM>
TMP %SystemRoot%\TEMP <SYSTEM>
windir %SystemRoot% <SYSTEM>
TEMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp VALUED-5D46F8E4\mfh
TMP %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp VALUED-5D46F8E4\mfh

Any thoughts on how to get the application to run?

Thanks,
m

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

Try downloading the driver directly from the manufacturer's website:

http://www.diamondmm.com/supraextusb.php

Win 2000 is a version of NT.

Delete the modem and its drivers in the device manager, and physically remove the modem.

Reboot

Shut down and physically install the modem in a different slot, reboot and let PnP find it and install it.

If Windows has the drivers for it let it use them or, if it does not select "Have disk" and use the drivers that came with the modem or ones you have downloaded from the manufacturer's support site that are for WIN 2000.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 December 2005 - 05:19 PM.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

I googled your 'not a valid win32 application' and the only things that came up is either your download is corrupted - try again or you are downloading the wrong version for your operating system or processor type. Were there any alternate versions of the rollup?

How are you downloading these rollups and the drivers? Obviously you can't be doing it on the PC your trying to fix, maybe there is some problem in the transfer process?

Really Enthusiast's method is all you should need to do.

#11 mart55

mart55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

Thanks Rimmer,

You were right! The 'not a valid win32 application' must have been due to a corrupt download. I was downloading using a different computer and moving the file to a jump drive. I downloaded again and the update worked OK. However, it did not solve the modem problem.

I have used the Windows found driver as well as the driver installation using the disk provided with the modem. In both cases, I get a "device not working properly" or "device can not start" message. I have to believe that the modem is bad or that the model will not work with W2000. I think I'm going to try a different modem.

Again, thanks

mart

#12 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:15 PM

Im not sure if this would be relevant, or that i fully remember how to do it properly.

but couldnt he just establish it as a generic 56k modem, and windows would automatically accept it as that? Then just query it to test it. Just an idea.

But you also could be right mart, and it could be bad hardware. Ive had some of those in my day.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

I googled your 'not a valid win32 application' and the only things that came up is either your download is corrupted - try again or you are downloading the wrong version for your operating system or processor type. Were there any alternate versions of the rollup?

How are you downloading these rollups and the drivers? Obviously you can't be doing it on the PC your trying to fix, maybe there is some problem in the transfer process?

Really Enthusiast's method is all you should need to do.

The model has Win 2000 drivers, so the device may be bad if loading the proper driver won't get it working.

#14 mart55

mart55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:19 PM

Rimmer, and others,

Thanks alot for the help. I tried two other modems until I got one that worked. The Diamond and Best modems did not work (I think they were the exact modem in different boxes). Bought a WINCOM V.92 and it loaded from the disk and works fine.

Again,
Thanks
mart

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,193 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

Mart55, Glad you got a solution.. And thanks for posting it as it will help someone else someday. Plus the fact that I also learned a bit from this post. :thumbsup: :huh:
Good luck..........
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users