Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scrolling mouse/keyboard create havoc and distortion noise issues through speakers---help!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hi,
I'm a new poster. I need some ideas/help. For the last 2 years, I have had the issue below however it has not been an "issue" for me and I have just dealt with it. A few days ago though I upgraded to a better PC sound system and now I need to try to fix this thing.

What is happening is that ANY scrolling (on my mouse scroll or my keyboard scroller) or ANY sudden quick mouse movements while in Internet Explorer while listening to music via the internet (ie on youtube) causes a high pitched distorted like SCREETCHING through my speakers. The odd thing is that if I SCROLL OR MOVE THE MOUSE SUDDENLY for a bit longer once the issue happens on the internet while music listening it will "fix itself". The screetching will go away. Scrolling some more though after it fixes itself will bring back the problem---annoying. Another oddity is that the issue only happens while I am listening to sound while on the net. I can listen all day to music via say Windows Media Player without being on the net and move my mouse any which way and everything is great! But once the net gets going, the sound issues get going!

I have googled the subject. TONS of possibilities exist---dating back as early as the year 2000 that I could find---so that was like even in the stone ages of PC (ie. its not some Vista issue or some specific Soundcard issue or something)! I have tried all I can and am at my wits end. I have had the PC (HP Pavillion a6250t) for about 3 years. As I said the issue has been in the last 2 but I have dealt with it. I seem to remember them occuring when I put a new laser mouse and new Logitech keyboard in a few years ago, but as you will see below both have been changed back to "stock".

Here is what I am running:
Vista 32 bit w/ service pack 2
2GH Pentium Dual E2180
SB X-Fi Xtreme audio Sound Card
NVidia GeForce 8300 GS video card
1 GB Ram
IE 8 (upgraded to 9 today to try to fix it)

Here is what I have done:
Updated Windows Vista
Updated my sound card drivers (they did indeed update)
Ripped out ALL USB devices (newer mouse, newer keyboard, printer) and changed back to stock PS2 mouse and keyboard that came with the PC in an attempt to eliminate IRQ conflicts)
Updated to IE9 (problem is ONLY when I'm on the internet scrolling or "mousing" during music!)
Turned off mic and all inputs unused on sound card (muted so no feedback can occur)
Switched from analog out to digital out on SB soundcard (digital now runs to external preamp to be decoded)
Uninstalled all old USB keyboard and mouse software (now running ps2 all the way)

I mean does anyone have an idea of what to try next? From what I have read on the subject; there is a possibility of some RFI interference causing this. The sound card is indeed right on top of the video card in my PC. There are 2 slots above it free I can plop the sound card into if I have to. Its just odd that when the PC was new for the 1st year NO ISSUE LIKE THIS was there. Then it appeared. So I'm just not sure what to try next!! Any advice would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

Did you try different browser to see, if same problem exist?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

I did try that. I was using IE8 and went to IE9 beta yesterday. Maybe try FireFox then?

#4 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

UPDATE---
Now I have confirmed the issue exists when I'm not on the net too. I was in WMP scrolling through my songs while playing a song and static distortion started again. Scrolling some more then fixes it; but then scrolling even more brings the issue back! Arrgghh! So the issue is not tied to the internet like I thought.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

See, if same issue exist in Safe Mode with Networking.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Good idea. I will try later and report back, thanks!

#7 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Well, safe mode disables my sound card. So that isn't going to help diagnose anything there. I have an HP system restore option that "will put your computer back to the original factory shipped condition". Hmmmm, will that erase my C drive in the process and will i lose everything?

#8 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

OK, update---
Disabled my Xtreme SB soundcard and am using a new external USB soundcard. Same issue it there, but slightly different. The high pitched distortion has now been replaced by "crackles and pops". Sounds like dirty vinyl now! This is both while on the net or when in windows media player. I even hear the crackling with NO music playing!

OK, so that rules out the soundcard. Must be some Vista issue or somthing else? Thoughts?

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

will that erase my C drive in the process and will i lose everything?

Yes.

Disabled my Xtreme SB soundcard

I assume, this is a real sound CARD?

Safe mode doesn't disable your sound card. It simply loads generic Windows driver.
Are you saying that the issue doesn't exist in safe mode?

If so, remove your sound card and enable on-board sound. Start in normal mode and see how it goes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

Yes I have a real sound card. It's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-SB1040-Express-Blaster/dp/B000W7PNZI

No, when I went into safe mode it disabled ALL my sound. Even the little speaker Icon in the taskbar in safe mode had an x through it. When I double clicked it it came up with a warning stating that no sound isavailable in Vista safe mode; everything sound related is disabled. So I could not test it at all in safe mode.

It cannot be the sound card per-se. Using a brand new external USB sound card tonight yielded the same results. It's something weird---IRQ conflict; interference in computer, grounding issue in computer,etc. I hoped it may have been my wireless router (I found a few posts on this that caused people my issue) and no avail---unplugging/unhooking it made no difference.

My next step, for bleeps and giggles will be to physically remove the internal sound blaster sound card and move it up a few slots.... maybe an IRQ issue. Just weird it was not ALWAYS there as the first year the PC had no issue like this. Also read of a guy with my SAME issue that said the cause was......dust! He got rid of it by air dusting like crazy inside his PC. Like I said, gotta be something weird....

If ALL THAT fails, then I'm using my HP system restore and bringing it back to day 1 shipped status. This will wipe out EVERYTHING, including all my devices, settings, hard drive, etc. Will need to back some stuff up so this is my last resort. Then if the issue is STILL there after that then its just something went faulty on the motherboard or something causing interference! Time for a new PC at that point, LOL!

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

I still suggest, you remove the card and you try on-board sound.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:30 AM

That is today's project, will let you know. I will rip out sound card and try both onboard sound and new usb external sound and see if problem persists.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

OK :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 joeljoel1947

joeljoel1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:32 PM

Update--
Ripped the Xtreme soundcard out of computer. Noticed it was plugged into a high definition audio bus, so there is going to be no "moving" that card. It is where it is. So again, I just ripped the sucker out altogether.

Next I tried my external USB soundcard to see if that would be ok now---nope. Snap crackle pop, just as I had yesterday with it. Not nearly as annoying as the high-pitched screetching/distortion as I get with the Xtreme card I ripped out, but still annoying. Disconnected that sucker.

Finally, I used the internal sound attached to my motherboard. Madness----the thing on back of my PC only has a coax digital out and a coax digital in! No line level analog ANYTHING to hook to. WTF?? This wasn't gonna be easy. Went to the closet and grabbed a hi-end audio DAC with coax in to convert the digital out off the PC to the DAC coax in and finally out to my speakers. Well, IT FREAKING WORKS!! No snap crackle pop, no distortion, nothing. Tested it every which way and the problem is completely GONE.

Bottom line is the only way to eliminate issues is to use the internal motherboard sound and coax out to an external DAC at this point. I guess I could live like this, but it seems to be a CRAZY workaround to the original issue.

For giggles once I got everything working perfectly I plopped the Soundblaster Xtreme card back into the computer. Was thinking maybe through all the messing around I may have luck and it would work. Nope. Same static distorion when "mousing around".

Has anyone ever seen a motherboard with sound that is only COAX out and in??? It says itís a RealTek High Definition Audio. It has a control panel which has some decent options, even up to 24 bit 192 decoding, but as I am tied to coax out I canít listen to what that baby sounds like on its own as my external DAC is doing the decoding.

Scouring the back of my PC for regular line out/in/mic jacks the only thing that looks like a clue is a black cover over the back portion of my PC that says DO NOT REMOVE. Iím wondering if thatís what Iím looking for and that HP covers up the motherboards sound jacks when they ship with an upgraded sound card like I bought (the SB Xtreme) so that end users donít get confused on where to hook their audio up to??? The control panel for the RealTek does show line level ins and outs as well as coax in and out are available but I donít see them physically on the PC!

Any thoughts?

Edited by joeljoel1947, 13 November 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

Well, I'm glad to see, we some way to get your sound back to normal.

As to, where to go from here, I'll leave it to hardware guys. I know nothing about hardware...LOL
I'll ask couple of friends to take a look here.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users