Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

font book disable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

The disable in font book appears to last only until the next reboot, then all the disabled fonts and the duplicate fonts get enabled again. I don't see the point of the disable function except maybe for troubleshooting a suspected problem font. I learned the hard way that when you set up another library in font book and import fonts into it they all get installed as active fonts. Now I'd like to delete them out of font book since that's how it works but not off the hdd, but from what I read I think deleting from font book deletes the font. Am I missing something obvious?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

From the Finder Help menu.

To remove a font from a collection, drag it out of the Fonts window.

Removing a font from a collection doesn’t remove the font from your computer.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Buddyme2,

I read the entire font book help and the info in one of my books and it said deleting the font was "permanent" - I guess it meant from font book and not the hdd. :blush:
Dragging a font out of Font book didn't work for me, but I right-click removed and that worked. I deleted the library I'd added from font book w/out deleting the folder on the hdd.

After I deleted the library I checked my collections to see if the removed fonts were also removed from them and noticed some disabled fonts. So those fonts stayed disabled on reboot. Do you think too many fonts being installed could have prevented disable from working? Are disabled fonts supposed to stay disabled on reboot?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users