Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Elusive temp internet files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 peculiargroove

peculiargroove

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hello, all. I hope someone can help me (and I hope i've posted this in the right place).

For the last couple of months i've had some problems with my laptop - it has been getting very hot very quickly and is running very slow. I thought it was an overheating problem, so I gave the fan a blast with compressed air, used a cooling mat, flat surface etc which helped a little with the heat but not the speed.

Then I thought maybe I have some malware or something so I tried to run a malware bytes scan and to my horror 7 hours later it was still running a "quick scan". It appeared to be stuck rifiling through a folder called: C:/Documents and settings/default username/local settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/
I managed to locate the folder and discovered there were over 200,000 files there. I deleted everything that was there but when I went back to check they were all back plus more.

Now, I cannot find the folder for love nor money. I made all hidden files visible but still can't find this folder but when Malware bytes scans it is still getting stuck on the same folder scanning files i cannot find.

I have tried a couple of things - I changed the disk space to use for temp internet files to 40MB and have deleted all the temp files that come up via internet options - - settings - [temporary intertnet files]view files but there is never a lot there. Also deleted cookies, history and form data. However, When I attempt to delete the temporary internet files via browsing history - delete the window pops up and it is still deleting after 4 or 5 hours (infact it has never finished).

I still can't run malware bytes without it getting stuck on that folder although the files it has scanned before it gets stuck have found no infected files.

I'm at a total loss as what to do. I'm not great with computers so this is all really confusing. My laptop is still getting very hot and is still very slow.

I have also (with guidance) stopped any unneeded startup processes. Malware Bytes is also fully up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IE: IE8
Free Disk Space: 43.3GB

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 peculiargroove

peculiargroove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the reply, am going to do that now and will let you know what happens :)

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:38 PM

:)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 peculiargroove

peculiargroove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

Okay, I did that. I got an error message half way through saying: the file or directory c:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. please run the chkdsk utility.

It then continued to scan (took a couple of hours) I left it and when I came back my laptop had rebooted and was running check disk and then it booted up again. It's faster than it was my IE is still a little slow. I'm going to try running malware bytes tonight and let you know!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

I'd suggest, you re-run TFC one more time.

Did chkdsk find any errors?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 peculiargroove

peculiargroove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:28 PM

I don't know if chkdsk found any errors as when I came back to the computer it had already finished and rebooted.

I ran the temp file cleaner again and then ran malware bytes and this time it didn't get stuck on any files (they have all gone) and was done in 15 mins. It found 1 object, called 'Hijack.startmenuinternet' in the registry which has now been removed and now the laptop is running very smoothly!

Thank you so much for your help!

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users