Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Wont Display

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tystyk252

tystyk252

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

I started having issues with my monitor not powering up with computer about 6-8 months ago and the usual slap on the side of tower seemed to work fine. I took the side panel off at one point of my HP Pavillion 360N and checked conectors but all seemed fine. Well the slapping doesnt work any longer. The monitor works fine plugged in to another unti so it isnt the monitor itself. so???

It doesn't plug into or work off of a PCI or slot card just plugs into the wall which power supply there is fine but nothing coming out of unit to display on monitor. Would this be the connection where the pins screws in? If so, how the h___ do you go about replacing it? I have tried using another monitor but it is the display not coming out but I dont see any per say video card in the mother board. Not all to compu savy here but a little.

Tried looking at HPs web Site but they only really talk about cards and I have no video card atleast none in which I can see with covers all off and all exposed.

I am at the point now where I have tower disasemblled and trying to remove the connection from the back to ah....... replace it I guess.

Make any since to anyone? All help much appriciated.

I have another HP tower (HP Compaq dx2300) I was hoping to just swap them out if possible but I cant seem to even get either of them out and not feeling as if it is going to be so easy of a task as I thought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

It looks to me like on-board video chip is malfunctioning.
You may need to buy real video card.
There are rather inexpensive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 tystyk252

tystyk252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:30 PM

Is there anyway to check it out? Guess it'd be damn near impossible if I cant get it to power up. I can put the Hard Drive i a different computer and boot it I am hoping anyway, would there be a log file there or something to lead me in the right direction. Can a on board chip be swapped out or is it soldered to board?

Thanks for your insight. I just hate to take it to a computer shop and pay a 100 bucks that could be applied towards the card. An deeper hints about trouble shootin?

#4 tystyk252

tystyk252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

Anyone else have any clues as to what I could do or troubleshoot my issue?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

Judging from your well performed testing (this monitor on another computer works; different monitor on this computer doesn't work), I see no other possible culprit, but dead video chip.
You don't have bring your computer anywhere.
Anyone can install video card.
It's a matter of buying it (you can get a good card well below 50 bucks), opening computer's case, putting the card in and installing a driver form provided CD.

According to this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07311&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&key=null&product=77410 you have 3 PCI slots available, where you put your video card.
You can see them here:
Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

The high performance cards are costly, but you can get a decent basic video card relatively cheap:

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCIe w/Dual DVI - $49.99 at Tiger Direct.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 16 November 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#7 tystyk252

tystyk252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Broni n Melissa, I guess I will be headed for a card asap. Thanks for your help Broni.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:47 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image
Keep us posted...

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

You're quite welcome.... :)

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users