Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking A Poll...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jlo666

jlo666

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

Just taking a poll to see what users here think is the best registry cleaner/repair prog (in your opinion) so that I can choose one for my self, as I don't have much experience in the matter... and I'm thinking that my registry is getting really bloated as many times as I have installed/ uninstalled things and as many changes as I have made to the poor thing... I'm running xp pro sp2. I appeciate any help, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

I'm starting to side with Microsoft in this, and am thinking that there may not be a great need to clean the registry out.

A good uninstaller program (to remove the bloat leftover by uninstalled programs is a must).

For tools, I'd suggest RegClean v4.1 (no longer supported by Microsoft) and NTREGOPT (comes with ERUNT also) - they're freeware and well-respected across the web.

Quite a lot of folks on forums also recommend EasyCleaner.

Edited by usasma, 25 November 2005 - 11:02 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

Fred Langa, www.langa.com, just did an overview of ten different registry cleaners.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=171203805

the langalist is a wonderful resource and the standard edition is free.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

Since you don't have much experience in the matter of cleaning the registry, as you've stated, I suggest you stay out of the registry.

Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
If you're not having any problems, why go looking for troubles.

If you insist on messing around in the registry, don't forget to do a registry backup, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing up the Registry
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jlo666

jlo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

I wouldn't think of going into the registry manually without creating a back-up :thumbsup:

I was essentially just taking a poll of what users think the best registry cleaners are... then I will do some research and choose one for myself.

I know somewhat about the registry... enough to navigate with regedit and find a specific key and edit it- if someone tells me what exactly I am doing beforehand (specific key/value ect...)... I'm not good enough to "freehand edit" the registry if you will- but I want to be :flowers:

#6 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:47 PM

Admittedly, playing with registry can cause problems. But the research that Fred Langa did suggests that not cleaning up registry, particularly if you add and delete programs and or files regularly, then not cleaning the registry out may cause significant slow down of your computer.

It is interesting to look at this article to get an idea of how different cleaners work, in particular backing up changes.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=171203805

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users