Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fozzer1

Fozzer1

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

I have looked through the Forums which mention this problem, but have not seen a full solution to it.

When I boot my computer, a panel which looks like the normal Windows panel of the same ilk comes up, with the wording "Generic Host has encountered a problem and needs to close, with the send/dont send report panels.

Initially I thought it was a normal part of windows set up, but then I started to get strange goings on.

My tool bar at the base would change colour to grey, with the knock on effect of the appearance etc. in windows. sometimes I would lose the sound, and sometimes I would loose my Internet connection, or alternatively the whole screen would freeze up.

To get back sound, Internet connection, I would have to restart the computer. Sometimes more than once. Alternatively I would have to switch off the computer manually.

I have done numerous scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispy, and also with my anti virus. I am however convinced that this is a form of Malware infection, which appears to be playing with me.

Any advice would be appreciated, and please treat me as a novice, which I am.

Fozzer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#3 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Looking at the link and instructions for the way forward, I found the task really daunting.

I am a novice, and there may be a lot of assumptions in your instructions that I would know the way forward.eg How would I copy the Logs to post etc.

For the moment, I will try every avenue that I am comfortable with controlling to see if I can resolve the probem.

I will probably be back.

Fozzer

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

You can either process the logs as instructed in the post, or you can do a complete system restore which would set you back to factory settings. The posting of the logs is very simple that a novice like yourself can do it.

#5 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

I will have a go, as it is starting to get a bit scary.

I am away for a week, and will try on return.

Thanks for your interest

Fozzer

#6 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:28 AM

The problem of losing Internet access, sound switched off, freezing computer, continued and was then further aggravated by this malware or whatever switching off my Computer.

Having an afternoon to spare, I decided to cover the Internet to ascertain how many people were affected with this problem, and what they had done about it.

There were numerous recommendations, which I tried, but to no avail.

I got the sites by putting the words in the search option at Microsoft.

I eventually came across someone who recommended Hitman Pro. Having scanned my PC with all the anti Malware imaginable without success, I was not too hopeful. However following the thread of the article, several people posted that it worked for them.

I downloaded Hitman, which fortunately is on a 30 day free trial offer at the moment.

The scan turned up one hit, which was described as a type that has the ability to disguise itself from most AntiSpyware/virus scans. System 32/drivers.... Rootkit.

At the time, I obviously was not sure that this was the actual villian. However I have now been free of this nightmare for four days, so I am praying that this was the ultimate answer.

My only worry is that if I do not take up the offer, and not buy, will they drop it back on me !!!

For now though, I feel safe again.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

The scan turned up one hit, which was described as a type that has the ability to disguise itself from most AntiSpyware/virus scans. System 32/drivers.... Rootkit.

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#8 Fozzer1

Fozzer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:51 AM

I seem to be clear now, since running Hitman, and unless anything dramatic happens, I think that I can now close this issue.

Thanks for the interest

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

Can you post what Hitman did to resolve your issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users