Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop boot time help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

Now, my laptop has a history of taking over 90 seconds to boot. However, I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer to get a fresh start on this machine. This corrected my boot time issue, and it was still booting in under 30 seconds as I was adding all of my old files and folders back.

However, today I decided to install an update for my laptop's graphic drivers. After I installed it, my laptop once again took an extremely long time to boot (taking up to 2 minutes to get to the desktop). It spends a LONG time on the Windows loading screen. Here are the steps I have taken to restore the driver:

1) The Roll Back option was grayed out, so I uninstalled the driver
2) After restarting and logging back in, Windows automatically installed a generic WDDM driver for me
3) After restarting again, Windows Update supplied me with a video card driver.
4) I installed the video card driver supplied from Windows Update and everything is fine again

Here are the specs for my laptop:

Model: Dell Latitude E5400
Graphics: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
RAM: 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ

The latest version of this driver is 15.​17.​12.​2226. The version on my laptop is 8.15.10.2202. I'm a person that likes to have everything updated, so this is going to bug me overtime.

Has anybody else ever had an issue like this?

By the way, another thing I tried was that I downloaded the Zip file off of Intel's site. Instead of running a setup file to install the driver, I used Device Manager to update/install the driver, but installing with that method still caused incredibly long loading times.

Thank you and any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

2 minutes is nothing for a boot time. I consider boot time from the time you turn on your computer to the time you are actually able to use the machine with applications.

The only thing I can think of is that the driver version on the WIndows 7 install is just a generic driver with nothing fancy being loaded via Intel Official driver. The extra stuff provide by the actual Intel Driver could be the cause of your "slow" boot times. However, I doubt that your computer has a 30 second boot time with a fresh install.

#3 Tim Brastow

Tim Brastow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

Well, let me clarify:

It takes almost 2 minutes to get to the logon screen AFTER installing the driver provided by Intel. It does not do this with the driver supplied by Windows Update. It hangs on the black Loading Windows screen for a good 90 seconds. My desktop is as half as powerful as my laptop, and never has this problem.

Currently, it stays on the loading Windows screen for less than 30 seconds, and then I am able to fully use the computer after a minute.

This happened when I first got my laptop a year ago too. There is no reason why a driver should add a full minute to the loading Windows screen.

Edited by Tim Brastow, 10 November 2010 - 04:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users