Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asking For Opinions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

I'd like to get some opinions from folks regarding Windows 7 updates. In the past, with other versions of Windows, I seldom allowed any updates. If a given situation demanded that I do so, I would, but otherwise, I tended to avoid those updates. I had been told on several occasions that the majority of OS updates were ridiculously unnecessary, eating up valuable HDD space. Now, with well over 1 TB of HDD space between two drives, and room for four more hard drives should I want or need them, I wonder if this is still applicable?

What are your habits and practices regarding Windows 7 updates? Do you always allow every update to be installed? Do you only allow the recommended and/or important/critical updates?

I seriously doubt that I would ever allow MS to automatically install any updates without first asking approval. I'm more interested in knowing the types of updates that users here generally do install.

Thanks for your comments.

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:21 AM

I only allow the updates that pertain to my computer and the programs I use.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

I, too pick and choose. It is easy to click on each one for a basic descrption of what it is for. Certain apps I don't use, so I don't install updates for them.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

I install only important/critical updates. Belarc Advisor can give you an idea which updates your system needs.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

I, too pick and choose. It is easy to click on each one for a basic descrption of what it is for. Certain apps I don't use, so I don't install updates for them.

You know, I must say that I was rather impressed with Win 7 after this installation. I looked at the update list it was nagging me about, and there was one there for my printer. I found that odd, because I had not yet installed my printer software. I looked, and sure enough, my printer was listed in the devices, so I did the update. With only a couple of mouse clicks on my part, all necessary software and updates were installed by Microsoft, and the printer was set as the default printer.

I thought that was pretty slick! :huh:

I install only important/critical updates. Belarc Advisor can give you an idea which updates your system needs.

Thanks for this - I'll check that link out.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 10 November 2010 - 05:34 PM.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

In checking the Belarc Advisor, I found something I'm not quite sure how to deal with. According to the site, I need this update:

MS07-027 - addresses a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows (KB931768)

However, when running the update check in Windows, I find 11 optional updates, none of which has anything to do with this particular one. I'm confused...

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

You should ALWAYS install important and recommended updates. They address critical vulnerabilities (and corresponding exploits) in the operating system, as well as updating features and compatibility.

This isn't a matter of opinion or preference. It's a matter of need. Outdated software is dangerous software.

Optional updates are just that...optional. Language packs, Live Essentials 2011, etc...not anything most people want/need.

See here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/default.mspx

I always review every update before I let it install, and usually there is no problem. One update you do want to avoid is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033 This one does some extra checks to make sure your copy of Windows is genuine, but people have reported a lot of false positives, so installing it is not recommended.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

Its strange KB931768 was meant for IE 7.0 back in the year 2007. All updates for Windows 7 start with KB971***.
I don't know why you are getting that from Belarc. I ran Belarc few days ago on my freshly installed Windows 7 computers and it never gave me that suggestion.
I think you can safely ignore and forget it :huh:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

You should ALWAYS install important and recommended updates. They address critical vulnerabilities (and corresponding exploits) in the operating system, as well as updating features and compatibility.

This isn't a matter of opinion or preference. It's a matter of need. Outdated software is dangerous software.

Optional updates are just that...optional. Language packs, Live Essentials 2011, etc...not anything most people want/need.

See here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/windowsupdate/default.mspx

I always review every update before I let it install, and usually there is no problem. One update you do want to avoid is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971033 This one does some extra checks to make sure your copy of Windows is genuine, but people have reported a lot of false positives, so installing it is not recommended.

Thank you KeyboardNinja, those were my thoughts as well.

One of the things that seems to occasionally be overlooked by our knowledgeable members is the fact that we have members that don't have the experience to know what is important or not in situations like this. More importantly, we have other members that are reading that may even have less experience, and when they see a staff member or another member with evident experience make blanket statements like the ones above they automatically assume that it's ok not to bother with these updates. They don't know what updates are important or perhaps even pertain to their needs if they are trying to pick the important ones. [/rant] :huh:

Edited by dc3, 10 November 2010 - 10:34 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:38 PM

Thank you, everyone. Prior to Windows 7, I always did the critical updates, and left the rest alone. It seems to be the same here. However, I'll follow the wise advice, and review every update that passes through the notification system.

Interesting about the false positives - I'll avoid that, even though I actually purchased this software. I don't want the hassle of having to convince MS of that fact.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 10 November 2010 - 10:39 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

If you use Microsoft Security Essentials for your Anti-Virus solution, then you will need to pay attention to the optional updates. Because that is the category that MS places Virus Definition Updates.

I would also steer clear of the hardware driver updates from MS as well they are usually out dated then the manufacturer of your hardware.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

You should also consider installing the Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security updates, commonly referred to as patches.

Edited by boopme, 11 November 2010 - 12:17 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

I would also steer clear of the hardware driver updates from MS as well they are usually out dated then the manufacturer of your hardware.

You should also consider installing the Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security updates, commonly referred to as patches.

+1 on both of those.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#14 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:27 AM

Excellent - thank you for the info. I use AVG Pro for my Antivirus/Firewall - it's passed both the EICAR and the Spycar tests with flying colors. It's truly one of the best software investments I've ever made.

#15 Skittler

Skittler

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:45 AM

Updating is a hassle. My computer and I have been chugging along fine without those interuptions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users