Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process for Win 32

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

For several days I have been receiving a pop-up that appears to be from Microsoft that says "Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." It then gives you the option to debug, send error report or don't send. I have run several programs suggested here in other posts, Malwarebytes. It came up with one item yesterday which was cleared from the computer. The problem has gotten worse. Now my computer gets the popup and it freezes. I just finished running the Malwarebytes again and nothing comes up. Could someone please help me with this?

Maddy

Edited by Madison_Jade, 10 November 2010 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Try running SUPERAntiSpyware, with updated definitions...followed by a thorough scan with your installed/updated AV program.

IME, spyware/adware frequently causes this type of error.

FWIW: Malwarebytes is very good at removing certain types of malware...there is nothing that removes all types, which is why a number of different tools are used by those who want to protect their systems.

Louis

#3 janeygee

janeygee

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi Maddy,

have a look here, it may help.
What is morally wrong can never be politically correct

#4 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

I ran the SUPERAntiSpyware came up with 470 threat items. This is after I have run two other programs suggested here. I went through the entire process and then rebooted as suggested and shortly after restarting I received a popup saying Registry Virus Scanner. Please see attached document to enable you to see exactly what I am getting.

Thank you...

MaddyAttached File  Registry Virus Scanner.doc   69.5KB   4 downloads

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:05 PM

Definitely malware, sorry.

I will move you to the appropriate forum to start overcoming this.

Louis

#6 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Sorry to sound dense but how do I find this forum you are moving me to that will help?

#7 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

Now I am being redirected to sites... help please!!!!!

#8 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

The same problems continue to plague my computer. I am presently unemployed and need my computer to apply for jobs. I have run the SuperAntiSpyware again this morning and so far it has picked up 132 items. MalwareBytes picked up nothing. I still am getting the same popup from Generic Host Process for Win 32. I am also still being redirected almost everytime I use Google. The computer freezes up and in several instances the toolbar actually changes color and looks strange. I did try to install Adware detection recommended to be run with Spybot. This completely froze my computer and ultimately required me to remove from my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to get me back running properly.

#9 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

I wanted to let you know what I am running on my computer. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. Using Internet Explorer 8

Edited by Madison_Jade, 11 November 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#10 Madison_Jade

Madison_Jade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

Spent a good bit of time here looking for answers to my problem. Just as a follow-up I used the directions given to DualPro regarding the redirect to Infomash.com. I went into safe mode and ran ATF Cleaner and then ran SuperAntiVirus and then re-booted the computer. Thank you for the response to DualPro. Boopme seems so far it has helped. Hopefully I have been able to find the information myself since you guys seem to be so busy.

I would like to make a suggestion if that is allowed. It would help people like me that have been waiting for a response if these similar items were grouped together a little closer. It requires a lot of reading to find the right one that perfectly fit your own situation.

Will let you know how it works out and if it didn't work I will be back.

Maddy

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

All are grouped here now.

I would like to get one more online scan..

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator.
To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users