Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTTP: Error 12029

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 M12 130013S

M12 130013S

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:41 AM

So my brother's girlfriend asked me to fix her computer, because they could not connect to the internet
I got on the computer and installed malwarebytes (also was able to update malwarebytes) and ran scans where malwarebytes found at least 140 viruses, and then in later scans reported comp clean but still was unable to connect to internet
I then installed avast (avast was unable to update), and running scans with it I found 24 viruses but could still not connect to the internet after scans could not find anything
After that I installed ad-aware (which was also able to update), ran a scan and found infected files which all were quarantined successfully, and after scans indicated it was clean I could still not connect to the internet
I then went into command prompt and tried to ping various sites (google.com, yahoo.com, facebook.com, msn.com) all of which were successfull
So then I decided to run IE8 diagnostic on why it was not connecting to the internet and I got:

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com
info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection
info Redirecting user to support call

I do not where to go from here, https works and i successfully connected to a number of websites through https, but every website I try through http i cannot connect to

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:55 AM

Sounds like you may have several different kinds of 'Real-Time Protection' going on.
Try switching off this feature in AdAware and restart the machine.

You should repeat this process with the rest of the security you have installed, one-by-one, including Windows Defender and any firewalls (that goes for the Microsoft one too).

I've come across this intermittent problem before and ironically it was my security interfering with any network traffic rather than malware.

Hope it helps

Edit

Forgot to add that in IE8 you should:
Open Internet Options, Connections tab, click "Lan Settings" button,
deselect all ticks.

Edited by micksim, 10 November 2010 - 06:07 AM.

| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

#3 M12 130013S

M12 130013S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:18 AM

The problem has been resolved and thank you for the assistance

#4 micksim

micksim

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:42 AM

You're welcome, I'm glad to have been of assistance.

All the best :thumbup2:
| A+ | Net+ | MCDST | MCITP |

"...if ever I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than any other talent..." (1642-1727, Isaac Newton)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users