Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors during OS reformat

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jonzy28

jonzy28

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:28 AM

I have a PC that had become so corrupted I decided to perform a reformat of XP. I removed the partitions and reformatted the disk and began the Windows install but continually run into errors in copying the files. Is there anything I can do to override them or manually force the Windows installation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:05 AM

I think it's a damaged CD from which you install, hope I'am not wrong...
Try other CD...:)

#3 zilog

zilog

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

As max7bg, says its a damaged CD or a defective CD-rom drive. Faulty RAM will also
spurious error messages during an OS install.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

Well...it would help to know just what the error messages might be.

Any number of hardware situations can create problems when attempting a format/reinstall.

System and manufacturer?

Did you actually delete all partitions and then attempt the install?

Is this a genuine XP CD...or recovery/restore disk?

Louis

#5 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

I have a PC that had become so corrupted I decided to perform a reformat of XP. I removed the partitions and reformatted the disk and began the Windows install but continually run into errors in copying the files. Is there anything I can do to override them or manually force the Windows installation?

Two causes, one is a damaged CD, depending on the error you get. I have also found tahts ometimes it is A RAM issue, I have reseated the RAM and that has helped, but what error message do you get.

ETA: You could also have a deadish hard drive.

Edited by Mooseby, 10 November 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#6 jonzy28

jonzy28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

It simply stops and locks up on some tries and on others it gives me the BSOD and returns error messages. Its not usually the same results with each attempt. The Windows XP disc is a genuine disc and I have reseated the memory and am attempting to install it again. Yes I did delete all partitions, set new ones (80g drive, 70g on partition 1 and defaulted size somewhere just less than 10g on partition 2) and completely reformat the hard drive first before attempting to reinstall Windows.

This time Windows did install and got to the initial splash screen before locking up again.

Edited by jonzy28, 10 November 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'd say that it's time to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

If you were formatting to overcome "corruption"...it makes sense to check out the hard drive before going very far.

Louis

#8 jonzy28

jonzy28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

How do I check the hard drive?

#9 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Yeah sounds like a bad drive. maybe you can use a rescue disk to get information, unfortunately BART-PE UBCD4WIN has to be made in advance.

#10 jonzy28

jonzy28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

Mooseby, wth is BART-PE UBCD4WIN? Not concerned about any recovery.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

Go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and click on Disk Drives.

This will show you the manufacturer/model of hard drive.

Then go to the website of the drive manufacturer...and download the approriate diagnostic.

Follow the instructions for burning this to CD and run the long diagnostic utility.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

#12 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Mooseby, wth is BART-PE UBCD4WIN? Not concerned about any recovery.

Um, it is a recovery disk and set of tools that you create yourself. I have found it useful for recovering files and making changes in the system files when they have become corrupted.

I do not know if Bleeping Computers has a stance on the BART-PE UBCD4WIN.I believe it falls into a grey area, I probably should not have mentioned it.

I am solely responsible for posting this link, in no way should my opinion reflect on Bleeping Computer.

Edited by Mooseby, 10 November 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#13 jonzy28

jonzy28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

hamluis: That would be a nice option if I were able to arrive at a working Windows installation so that a "START" button was available and a device manager were able to be pulled up. I have the side removed and will determine the hard drive manufacturer and specs from there.

It is a Western Digital drive so I will proceed to WD's website to download the diagnostic utility now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users