Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I AM being helped elsewhere, but cannot run provided Combofix Script

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:33 PM

I am being helped by Bobbye over on TechSpot with my original virus problem. This is not that. I apologise if this is not the place to post this, but I have looked all over the forum and this seems to be the best place to come.

My problem is that I cannot run the ComboFix script he has provided - I have tried and tried without success. I have followed all the instructions and I don't know WHAT is wrong. Bobbye said "You've already run Combofix - it should be on the desktop. It shouldn't be any trouble to just update it, follow the instructions to run the script, then leave the log." Well I am trying but is is not working! ARGGH! I am doing (as far as I can remember) EXACTLY what I did before, with the sole exception of being started by dragging the script, instead of just opening ComboFix; but with no joy! I came here because I need to get on with this. My fix is stalled until I can produce this log for Bobbye. I have a nearly brand new PAID FOR installation of Vista (about 4 weeks old) over the top of a failed XP transfer from my old computer. I suspect there is something hinky going on in user accounts which may be causing my problem with ComboFix.

I tried again this morning. This is what happens.

I disable Windows Firewall, UAC, Automatic Updates and AVG 2011.
I drag the script to ComboFix.
ComboFix updates itself (not always, but it did this morning)
ComboFix starts up OK it opens up a command window at C:\_ called Administrator:. This runs for a bit, backs up the Registry, and then just halts before the scan begins leaving a flashing yellow underscore cursor on the next line in the window. I have left the window open for more than an hour on three separate occasions in the 4 days since Bobbye gave me the script as well as numerous shorter attempts. I have screen shots of the last time I tried if you want to see them. (One taken at the beginning and one at the end of the process) They are jpgs of about 256 KB each - I will post them if you want to see them. Maybe there is something showing in the taskbar that might be a clue? I have running in Taskbar (left to right) Windows Security Alerts (showing as disabled), Open Office Quickstarter, Kodak EasyShare Quickstarter, AVG (showing as disabled),Superfinder XT, WakeMeUp State, AtomicClockSync, RoboForm, SharpBottonManagerA, DateInTray, EBayAlerts, Network, Volume, and Clock. I point out however that this IS the configuration under which ComboFix ran successfully a week ago!

This is all of the text which appears in the command window - with the line spacings as they appear.

Please wait
ComboFix is preparing to run.
Access Denied. Administrator permissions are needed to use the selected options.
Use an administrator command prompt to complete these tasks. (Isn't "a command window at C:\_ called Administrator:." this?)

Attempting to create a new System Restore point. (then the little System restore box appears, apparently backs it up OK, and disappears)
_ (after a few seconds this appears - it is yellow, and blinking - all the previous writing is white)

And that's it NOTHING Nada Zip, NO SCAN, NO LOGS, NOT A THING happens until I give up and kill the command window.

I have urgent work to complete before Saturday and I MUST get this process finished.

Please help, Yours Sincerely, Kaelkitty.

PS: re the administrator thing, I don't really understand it properly, so I could probably use some help about that. I mean I know the basics, but not when and how to change status or which tasks I should do under which "hat" since this is a standalone system that no-one but myself can touch _ except VIA the internet LOL!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hello Kaelkitty.

Since you are being assisted at TechSpot currently, it is best for your helper to troubleshoot these issues with you, not us. This is because following advice outside of that topic may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer. Any actions or modifications you make afterwards can result in system changes which may not show readily to your helper. If you have followed any other advice already, please ensure that you inform the helper who is assisting you.

Since you are unable to execute the script as directed, you should alert him that you cannot do this because something is causing ComboFix to hang. He should either help resolve the problem, or provide you with an alternative solution.

Once you conclude your topic at TechSpot, should you have further issues please feel free to start a topic here in the appropriate forum.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 10 November 2010 - 12:09 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

"Since you are unable to execute the script as directed, you should alert him that you cannot do this because something is causing ComboFix to hang. He should either help resolve the problem, or provide you with an alternative solution."

I HAVE and he hasn't - this is all the reply I have on the subject "You've already run Combofix- it should be on the desktop. It shouldn't be any trouble to just update it, follow the instructions to run the script, then leave the log."

and that was two days ago!

I'm going nuts here!

All I want is advice as to WHAT I could be doing wrong!

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:41 AM

This is the thread you're referring to, is it not? http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic155808.html

You don't appear to be doing anything wrong.

As he said. "It shouldn't be any trouble"

All the information you have provided indicates that this is not something you're doing wrong. There is another factor at play here.

Give him some time to respond. . . it's currently midnight where he lives so he's probably asleep.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Kaelkitty

Kaelkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:17 AM

OK - Thanks Blade,

Yes, that's my thread. You can close this one now. I'll wait some more! Sorry to bug you - I have Asperger's and sometimes I feel like I don't communicate well. I just got panicky because it's been 3 days since I told Bobbye that I couldn't make the script work. My Asperger's gives me a level of anxiety about explaining myself that you would have to see in person to believe it - I alway's seem to overreact!

Thanks again, Bye, KK.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:16 AM

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users