Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal BSOD error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ashysimon

ashysimon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

From what I can understand of research I've done on this error, it's usually hardware or malware based. I haven't seen anything that seems to be my situation exactly yet though, and I've followed the steps that seemed most straight forward and simple to do so far.

Initially, the computer would cut display to the monitor occasionally and at random. (I thought it was overheating initially, or that my power supply wasn't sufficient - it's 400 watts) Then one day it started displaying a BSOD instead. Here's some of the information I pulled.

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xB6FA0F2A)

It involves the file sxuptp.sys

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing (I haven't done this, as I wanted to try simpler ideas first).

Driver IRQL not less or equal.

I can get the rest if it's needed.

I'm running a Dell Precision 690 I got off a dying company. (service ticket G91HHD1 on Dell's website) It came with 4 gigs of ram (four slots of 1 gig) and two processors (Intel Xeon 5130) running at a total of 2GHz. XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 3. I replaced the initial video card which I presume came with the computer (it was awful) with ASUS GE Force 9800GT right away, and it did well for the computer's life so far (I got this a few years back despite Dell's website stating it was published in October '09? The stamp inside the case dates it to 2007 and the 9800 was brand new when I got it) The case now has an ATI Radeon HD5670 in it, which seems to have set up just fine (I really thought it was just the card acting up). The previous card has been removed.

The computer's been fairly well abused by a friend that I've received it back from, so I expect there is a lot of shenanigans occurring in the software guts/registry/etc but I'm not prepared to wipe until it's my last option for now. (we've since cleaned at it and that's probably made things worse, I bet [but also better, since it hardly ran at all when I got it back]).

I've tried moving around the RAM, (but not all configurations, just enough to see if it was really borking things up), new video card (seems to be making things better, but might be my imagination). Ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes with no improvement, and TDSSKiller as well. (These were all suggestions found in my searches for fixes).

Running Safe Mode allows access to the Internet, however I'll get the BSOD the moment I plug it in otherwise.

Let me know what I need to be telling you!
Thanks in advance. Any lead would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

Worth reading, http://www.runscanner.net/lib/sxuptp.sys.html

If I had any software/hardware installed...by any of those entities reflecting digital signatures for this file...I would uninstall such and then reinstall same. If legit, the file is probably damaged.

Silex and D-Link point to web-connection devices, Belkin makes any number of different products.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#3 ashysimon

ashysimon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:20 AM

Yup! That fixed everything, once I found a place to download it. I ended up downloading an older version than current and it still runs just fine. I've never heard of this program, but I do have a D-Link. I got it over the summer, so the driver must have broken since then at some point...
Well, thanks a lot!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

Glad you were able to resolve it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users