Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal On Adsl Modem (tiscali)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sam_j_w_foster

sam_j_w_foster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:09 AM

I have set up an internet connection for my girlfriends dad using Tiscali (service provider)

The problem I am having is I cannot get the broadband connection to work.

I have set the modem up as explained in the instructions given, but all i get is a flashing light.

The strange thing is that i was on the phone the other day and the light stopped flashing and stayed on, i got a connection, but when i finished the phone call the connection was lost.

So the broadband only works when the phone is in use.

Would this be down to the microfilters? there is one near the computer and one in the main phone socket. (there are also two other sockets without microfilters, and a sky connection)

Also the computer is connected to a secondary phone socket not the main. would this affect the signal?

Any help would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

I would believe you may have a bad POTS line. Run down to Walmart and pick up a pre-made telephone line and run straight to the POTS service box from your DSL modem.

POTS= Plain Old Telephone Service
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:52 PM

sam_j_w_foster,

Being from the US I'm not sure of Tiscali's service levels, or what their turn up of service entails. But from what you've posted. I'm thinking that the outlet you're using, for the modem, has a high resistance open condition that will allow a phone to work, but will not pass the ADSL signal. The fact of taking a phone off hook at another location causes enough of a resistance on the line to show the ADSL signal. I would call whom ever is responsible for the phone lines within the house to verify resistance levels are within ADSL signal tolerances. hth

Be (ADSL) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 11:37 AM

I had the same problem when helping a friend with his broadband setup. It had worked perfectly for several weeks then suddenly would not connect. After much hunting around, and a brief chat with a BT engineer who happened to be working nearby, it turned out that a dirty phone socket connection and a wet day were all it took to drop the ADSL service. The amount of humidity and general gunk in the atmosphere (it was a dusty house) were sufficient to affect the electrical continuity in the socket.

The answer is to keep everything clean.

Incidentally ALL sockets on an ADSL enabled line should have filters on them, even the one for the Skybox
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users