Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home, OE6 and IE8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

I use Firefox as my browser and IE8 is almost never used. I have found that for some reason IE8 is not working.
A screen comes up but only shows a few items in the taskbar area at the top of the screen and the main area is blank. Nothing activates.
At the same time my Windows update does not work, presumably because IE8 is dead. iexplore.exe runs but nothing is happening. My OE6 does work OK.

Question ?
If this problem entails too much complicated activity, can I just uninstall IE8 in the normal way and re-install it from the Microsoft download site package ? But :-
1. Will my OE6 be affected in any way ? I must not be without Email.
2. Will this affect Firefox or any other working part of my system ?
3. How will the new IE8 include all the updates to bring it up to a complete present day version ?

My current package in use is :-
Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3
Firefox 3.6.8, AVG 2011 Free, Sandboxie Free 3.50
Online Armor 4.5, SpywareBlaster 4.3
NoScript, Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler 2.6.0.0, WOT

None of this must be in any way affected by this IE8 re-installation.

Many thanks
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:30 AM

System manufacturer and model?

<<A screen comes up but only shows a few items in the taskbar area at the top of the screen and the main area is blank. Nothing activates.>>

Exactly...when does this occur? Can you post a screenshot?

Are you saying...that the only anomaly apparent on the system...is the inability to use IE, but OE (which is part of IE) works properly?

Any onscreen error messages?

Have you checked Event Viewer for possibly pertinent errors?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#3 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

System manufacturer and model?

<<A screen comes up but only shows a few items in the taskbar area at the top of the screen and the main area is blank. Nothing activates.>>

Exactly...when does this occur? Can you post a screenshot?
Are you saying...that the only anomaly apparent on the system...is the inability to use IE, but OE (which is part of IE) works properly?

Any onscreen error messages?
Have you checked Event Viewer for possibly pertinent errors?
How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html
Louis

Dear Louis,
Thanks for your reply. I have described my events best I can in the text below, I hope it explains everything.
======
My set up :-
Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3
Firefox 3.6.8, AVG 2011 Free, Sandboxie Free 3.50
Online Armor 4.5, SpywareBlaster 4.3
NoScript, Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler 2.6.0.0, WOT
IE8 is my secondary browser

The trouble all started when I found that the Start search (the little dog) was not working. The icon was there, but it was dead. I then found that my Windows update on the Security panel was not working. I then checked IE8 and the Home page would not completely load, just a few items in the toolbar areas and a blank area where Google should be. That was it - stuck !

This is when I decided to install a new download of IE from the MS site and posted my question.
Since then I have risked all and done the following :-

I installed a new IE7. This went OK without problems. The Start search then worked OK as did the Windows update. All seemed great, until I was pestered by MS to update my IE7 to IE8. The update icon simply would not go away. So I downloaded a new IE8 and ran it.

It went to the "downloading" and stuck on "Not Responding". It did this every time and I tried many times but with the same result. I had to crash it by Task Manager each time.

I discovered MS Auto-Fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058. I ran this with no trouble.
** How do I reset Windows Update components?
(971058) - Article ID: 971058 - Last Review: April 9, 2010 - Revision: 4.1 ... 949104
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Then tried IE8 again - it went in like a dream with not a hiccup. Actioned the MS IE8 and Widows updates with no problems and everything now works perfectly. The Fix-it resets the Windows update components and it worked 100%. Problem solved.

I have no idea what started all this, but have a gut-feel that Comodo System Cleaner could have been the problem. Other users on the net have voiced this suspicion. I dumped this Comodo cleaner together with every file I could find that had been left over from the uninstall.

This report is made to conclude my post question and to help other users who may encounter the same problems.

Many thanks for your response.
John

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the detailed response of your resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users