System manufacturer and model?
<<A screen comes up but only shows a few items in the taskbar area at the top of the screen and the main area is blank. Nothing activates.>>
Exactly...when does this occur? Can you post a screenshot?
Are you saying...that the only anomaly apparent on the system...is the inability to use IE, but OE (which is part of IE) works properly?
Any onscreen error messages?
Have you checked Event Viewer for possibly pertinent errors?
How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html
Thanks for your reply. I have described my events best I can in the text below, I hope it explains everything.
My set up :-
Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3
Firefox 3.6.8, AVG 2011 Free, Sandboxie Free 3.50
Online Armor 4.5, SpywareBlaster 4.3
NoScript, Adblock Plus, KeyScrambler 22.214.171.124, WOT
IE8 is my secondary browser
The trouble all started when I found that the Start search (the little dog) was not working. The icon was there, but it was dead. I then found that my Windows update on the Security panel was not working. I then checked IE8 and the Home page would not completely load, just a few items in the toolbar areas and a blank area where Google should be. That was it - stuck !
This is when I decided to install a new download of IE from the MS site and posted my question.
Since then I have risked all and done the following :-
I installed a new IE7. This went OK without problems. The Start search then worked OK as did the Windows update. All seemed great, until I was pestered by MS to update my IE7 to IE8. The update icon simply would not go away. So I downloaded a new IE8 and ran it.
It went to the "downloading" and stuck on "Not Responding". It did this every time and I tried many times but with the same result. I had to crash it by Task Manager each time.
I discovered MS Auto-Fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058.
I ran this with no trouble.
** How do I reset Windows Update components?
(971058) - Article ID: 971058 - Last Review: April 9, 2010 - Revision: 4.1 ... 949104
Then tried IE8 again - it went in like a dream with not a hiccup. Actioned the MS IE8 and Widows updates with no problems and everything now works perfectly. The Fix-it resets the Windows update components and it worked 100%. Problem solved.
I have no idea what started all this, but have a gut-feel that Comodo System Cleaner could have been the problem. Other users on the net have voiced this suspicion. I dumped this Comodo cleaner together with every file I could find that had been left over from the uninstall.
This report is made to conclude my post question and to help other users who may encounter the same problems.
Many thanks for your response.