Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot up normally

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VGMD

VGMD

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hi BleepingComputer,

A couple of weeks ago I tried powering on my HP Pavilion a1250n like normal, except suddenly the rear fan went on full blast and nothing came up on my monitor. Trying to open up a CD drive resulted in it immediately closing, and even when I tried to power it off manually by holding down the button, it would immediately turn back on. Eventually I had to unplug the computer to get it to turn off. I know that's not the best thing to do, but I had no choice. The IT department at my dad's office replaced the nVidia GeForce 8600 GT graphics card with a nVidia Quadro 1700 FX, and the computer started working normally again. But being that I'd rather have a gaming card than a workstation card, I ordered a Radeon HD 5670 and installed it today. Much to my surprise, my computer did the exact same thing when I tried to turn it on. When the IT guys said the graphics card was the problem, I was a bit skeptical but I've never had one burn out. Now I'm pretty sure the graphics card isn't the problem, and I'm beginning to suspect it's a problem with my power supply. It's the standard 350w that came with the computer. Maybe if it's malfunctioning and outputting less power and the Quadro uses less power than either of the gaming cards, then I'd have to replace it? I'd appreciate a second opinion before taking it back to the IT guys or start replacing more parts.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

Im not sure about the 8600 but the 5670 requires a minimum (notice minimum, thats not the recomended) of 400 watts, and thats assuming you have a good 400 watt PSU with lots of amps on the +12v rails and a basic system, I would recomend a good 5-600 watt PSU. I would suspect this to be part of the problem. Does your HP have a integrated video card? if so take the dedicated out and plug the monitor into the integrated chip, if it works then the problem is either your video card is defective or not getting enough power from the PSU.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

The_Patriot is right - your power supply is most likely underpowered for what you are doing. Any chance you can put the make/model of the video card? Looks like some of them require power straight from the PSU, which means that the PCIe bus can't supply enough power reliably. Need a good PSU recommendation?

#4 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

I'm thinking its the power as well, I had a similar issue with the 8800 series card. The desktop wouldn't turn on unless I switched the power cords. I had a 500W PSU mind you so power wasn't the issue. But the card for whatever reason didn't like the 6 pin cord that came directly out of the PSU. So I had to use the Adapter that took 2 of the Molex 4-pin plugs and turned them into a 6-pin plug that ran to the video card on the side.

That may or may not solve your problem, however most video cards I've seen even come with the adapter so it may be worth a try, when in doubt about installing extra equipment in your desktop... "I need more power Mr. Scott!"

#5 VGMD

VGMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I realize that the graphics card I just bought (the Radeon HD 5670) has a minimum requirement of 400w but I read somewhere that it only consumes around 70w maximum. Granted, that could already be more than my psu has left over to give, but it still doesn't explain why I had this same exact problem with my original graphics card (the 8600 GT) which had been functioning fine until that one day. I bought the XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB which doesn't require additional power connectors from the psu. Are power supplies liable to wear out after a while?

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:48 PM

to answer your first question, its power consumption may only be so many watts, but that 400 watt minimum is with a basic computer package-motherboard, CPU, couple fans and a hard drive. A really really strong 350 watt (stock HP PSUs are NOT strong) MIGHT run it, but only by pushing it harder then it should.

As for your second question, did you add anything to your computer before you started having problems, such as more memory, extra hard drive, etc. If I recall, I cant find the specs off hand, but I believe the 8600 required a 350-400 watt PSU as well, and while it may have been running its possible that video card went out-short circuited which drew to much power from the PSU or something along the lines. Its also possible, especially if the PSU uses multiple +12v rails (not sure if it does or not) that one of the rails went out, which wouldnt supply enough voltage for the 8600 or 5670, but the other rail may supply enough for the quadro to run.

And to answer your question, PSUs, like any other component in your computer will wear out over time and fail.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 VGMD

VGMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

OK thanks a lot for your help the_patriot. It seems like it's inevitable that I'll have to replace the psu eventually if I'm going to upgrade my computer, so I think that's my best bet right now. Do you have any recommendations in terms of manufacturers?

#8 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

I replaced my stock PSU with an Antec 500watt 2 years ago, never looked back

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

My number one choice for PSUs and what I put in about 80% of my builds are Coolermaster, followed closely by Antec, as well as OCZ and Corsair.

picard5.jpg

#10 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

I've had excellent luck with Corsair (in my personal builds), and will continue to use them when funds allow. I have OCZ and Thermaltake in other builds that are definitely cheaper, but still great options. I haven't used Antec or Coolermaster, but they seem to be good and get good reviews.

#11 VGMD

VGMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

Hopefully this is my last question. After looking at the stock power supply again (and it's even crappier than I initially thought, at only 300w), I noticed that it only has a rear fan. Most of the psu's that I was browsing from the manufacturers you guys recommended only have a fan on the top and a grate or vent in the back. Would this cause problems with air flow in my tower? The stock psu in my computer right now is a Bestec ATX-300-12z. The psu's I was considering are the Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V and the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V. If I do need that rear fan then I saw this one: Linkworld LPG8 630w 630W ATX12V, but I'm hesitant to buy such a cheap model.

#12 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

I have not had any problems with airflow - the fan on my Corsair points right at an exhaust fan in the case. I also haven't had any noticeable heat coming off of this PSU either - it's been the biggest surprise of my current build. I never expected to be so happy with a PSU, but it's been great. Unless you're running a bunch of hard drives and an overclocked CPU in a small case doubt you'll have any issues. Go with one of the better PSUs.

EDIT:
Then again I've never paid attention to which direction the fan on the PSU is blowing...

Edited by YHB318, 13 November 2010 - 05:34 PM.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

no-most PSUs will use that one fan to suck the air from inside the case up through the PSU and out the back.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users