Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help installing new HDD & reinstalling XP SP3 with USB Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop, HDD crapped out about 2 wks after the CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive failed. I have a slipstreamed XP Home-SP3 CD I created before both drives failed, and have all my important "stuff" backed up on several DVD's. I also have an external DVD-RAM drive to reinstall all my docs, progs, pics, etc... but the old (5-6 yrs) laptop BIOS does not support booting off an external CD/DVD--it will boot from a USB Flash Drive. This being the first time I'm attempting to replace a HDD & re-install an OS, I'll admit I'm more than a little overwhelmed by all the stuff I've read and quite frankly am lost as to what PRECISELY I need to do.

Here's what I Have:

Dell 2200 Laptop w/ failed 40gb Seagate HDD & failed LG OEM CD/DVD drive.--original specs & equipment: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml&~tab=2
A slipstreamed XP Home SP-3 CD
Important folders, progs, docs backed up on DVD/CD/ this comp-- (Gateway, Win 7 Home Premium)
A new Western Digital 80 gb HDD (new, still in sealed package) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136129&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
A new (still in package) 4GB Flash drive
A second laptop (this one) to download anything (info, progs, drivers, etc...) I may need during during reinstallation

What I need to do:

Install the new HDD
Install Win XP from Flash Drive

What I don't know (besides A LOT LOL):

Do I need to format the new drive with a third party prog/tool? Do I need to format the flash drive? If so, how do I do that? Should I let Windows format the drive during installation? Is a 4GB flash dr too small? Too big? How do I copy the XP CD to the USB drive? Do I format the drives in FAT-16? 32? NTFS? I've read about 267 different answers with about 65,000 different opinions on each of these (and other) questions, and to be honest... I'M COMPLETELY BURIED HERE.

What I'm asking is, is there a DEFINITIVE source/website/guide/tutorial I should follow? If someone can point me in the right direction as to what steps I need to do, what hardware & software I may need and in what order I need to do them...etc, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm not necessarily looking for hand-holding, just a shove in the right direction.

Anyone with any further questions, please fell feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:51 AM

Found a way that works (so far, the new drive formatting as I type this) here:

Flashboot: http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/
Guide with screenshots: http://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/screenshot.php

Formatted & copied CD to USB stick, I plugged it into the old Dell, booted and it uses FDisk to format the drive, unfortunately in FAT-32, no option for NTFS

...It's at 90% now, I will post back with any further developments, Good or Bad.

Edit 1: Setup is copying files...:thumbsup:
Edit 2: Converted to NTFS, @ 34 min mark :thumbup2:
Edit 3: Done! Installing the first 90 Windows Updates.

That was a LOT easier than I thought it would be :busy:

Edited by Union_Thug, 10 November 2010 - 06:41 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Awesome work and resolution.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks, cryptodan. Here's a link to a very good guide to using FDisk that really helped me out:

This guide is designed for the noobie, for those with no prior partitioning experience. Everything is spelled out, using plain language. It even identifies common problems to avoid.

http://fdisk.radified.com/

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

You can convert to NTSF later. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

You can convert to NTSF later. :thumbup2:

Actually, Windows Setup did that for me.Flashboot copies files & formats the drive partitions in Fat 32, but when the computer reboots & setup starts it asks you. :thumbup2:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

I knew that. :whistle:

Edit 2: Converted to NTFS, @ 34 min mark

Edited by dc3, 11 November 2010 - 08:01 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

I knew you that you knew that.:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users