Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar and graphics have gone very basic after start up repair

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 barryr

barryr

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi people,

I did something silly and wonder if anyone out there can help me reverse my silliness please?

I have a partitioned HD - one side runs with XP and the other with Win 7 Eternity (modded). This was set up on my 4 year old laptop a few months ago following the burn-out of my old HD.

Today, when closing down from XP, There was a short power outage. Next time I booted up in Win 7 I got a BSOD. Panicking somewhat and forgetting at that moment all about the power outage earlier, I ran the start up repair tool.

Of course Win 7 opened, but not with the usual background behind my users photos. When I logged in and it fully opened, the slideshow theme I set up was still running OK but all of the display settings had reverted to what I would call a very basic classic mode. Gone were the nice aero touches. See the photo of the taskbar here:

Posted Image

The icons with descriptions are the open applications. needless to say there is no thumbnail view.

Also my browser and e-mail client has reverted to a basic utilitarian look and windows such as notepad all have a gray border around them.

Whatever I have tried has not re-enabled them. In troubleshooting it says 2 things, 1. that the chosen theme does not support Aero. This is daft because i chose and Aero theme. And, 2. That the desktop Window manager is disabled. When I check, it is actually enabled.

I have done a windows update - no change

I have updated the graphics card driver - no change

I tried system restore and, although I created a restore point 3 weeks ago after ridding my machine of some malware (see other previous thread of mine) Windows says that it can find no restor point to restore to.

Can anyone please suggest how I can get my lovely Win 7 back please?

Edited by barryr, 09 November 2010 - 04:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

Piracy is not condoned here, so please use a legit a version of Windows 7. It will be hard for you to get assistance when using an illegal copy of Windows or other software.

Windows 7 Eternity is not legit.

#3 barryr

barryr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:56 PM

I was under the impression from the computer repair shop which installed it on my machine that it was legit, as you have to purchase a license key from MS to activate it.

So how should I proceed?

Edited by barryr, 09 November 2010 - 05:01 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

Take it back to where you got the work done, and demand a legit copy of Windows 7.

#5 barryr

barryr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

I have my legit key, can I download a copy of win7 from MS?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

Nope you cannot do that unless you are a member of the MSDN or a student.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

I have my legit key, can I download a copy of win7 from MS?

if this key was given to you by the computer repair shop that install the pirated copy then the key will not be legit ,and will not work a legit copy on win7 even if you had a GOOD COPY OF WIN7,,they ripped you off by selling you this copy/AND KEY of win7

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 barryr

barryr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Its a moot point now as I have figured out how to patch the custom theme files and I have fixed it.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:29 PM

I would recommend that you stop using the pirated copy of Windows 7 and get a legit version.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

like they said ,"Its a moot point now" they don't really care what you/we think

#11 barryr

barryr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:06 PM

I do care & will be taking it up with the shop the next time I am in the city.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

I do care & will be taking it up with the shop the next time I am in the city.

Sorry i assumed that ,but you used the term moot point

Translations
issue that is open for debate
issue that has been rendered irrelevant

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

I wouldn't go back to that computer shop anymore since they gave you a non legitimate version of windows, try finding another computer repair shop which does sell legitimate Microsoft Windows.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users