Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ma Noo Kompooter

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

Haelz yea! I gots myself a new motherboard off of the interwebs today and I need opinions from my friendsss here at BC.

Here is the board... My link

What do I not have yet?

I still need to purchase the following...
  • case
  • i7 processor
  • RAM
  • power supply
  • graphics card

I am shopping around but I need some help finding good deals! I don't need a crazy, fancy case. Although, it should look decent.

My motherboard does not support an i7 processor past the 965 model. I have been considering getting the 940? What do you guys and gals think?

I'm looking to start with 8GB. RAM is RAM as far as I am concerned. Does anyone feel differently? Who is the best in your opinion and where are the sales going on right now?

Power Supply - the cheapest 550W-600W ps will do

!!!Graphics Card!!! - This is by far the area of most concern! This is a gaming rig and should be outfitted appropriately. I want something that is going to last, but it can't be too expensive. I'm telling myself that I'll go as high as $300 but I question my ability to justify that price no matter how good the card is. I only want 1 graphics card so I don't care if it's SLI or Crossfire compatible. I would like for the graphics card to have a wealth of ports. I want VGA, DVI and HDMI. I need at least one of each and 2 HDMI's would be preferable.

Please advise me on a good graphics card as I am indecisive.

This is the first MB I've bought in YEARS and it's the best by far so I want this rig to come out right.

NOTE: I understand that I could possibly support more current i7 processors by reflashing the BIOS? I do not understand how I would do this. Please advise.
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

CPU-i7950 (never have seen a 940) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211
Memory-Still my fav for inexpensive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225
Power supply- cheap don't cut it. One of the better deals: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
Graphics- under $300 leaves you with an AMD/ATI 6850/6870, or an NVidia GTX460(1gig), or a GTX470(which will soon be discontinued).

As far as BIOS flashing, RTFM. It is in there. ASUS site: http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=QtpKQuERkuYw6trc Looks like 1303 is the latest and greatest BIOS. List of CPUs supported by BIOS number: http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=QtpKQuERkuYw6trc

Edited by dpunisher, 09 November 2010 - 04:58 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

I'm having a hard time shopping for graphics cards. I need to make a choice so I can plan to save.

I want a dual-gpu card with directx11 support for a good price. Any ideas?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

Here is the long list of dual GPU DX11 cards...............................
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=5970+2g

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

What sort of games are you playing? Some games really need loads of horsepower and with others, it might be a waste. Dual GPU's are often more expensive and power hungry, you can get a Radeon 5970 for $499, or simply get two Radeon 6870's which should outperform it for less. Most DX11-capable cards do not have VGA as it is a dying analog connection, favoring HDMI and DVI. With many games, they are GPU bound so a powerful uber expensive CPU might be a waste, unless you do rendering or scientific operations. If you are rendering or using highly threaded applications, a six core CPU might be better for you. Do not go for the cheap power supplies, if they fail, they may take the rest of your system along with them.

3939.png

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Ok... here's what I've made up my mind on so far...

ASUS P6T SE Motherboard (already on it's way!!!)

Intel i7-950 (this was a also a tough choice which is susceptible to change)

8GB RAM (for starters)

CD/DVD-RW Drive (these are cheap so I'll just pick a fast one on the fly when I'm ready)

500GB HD (this should plenty for os and apps; i can add more later if necessary)

Power Supply (650W)

nVidia GTX470
(as of right now, this is the card I'm set on. I've been reading lots of reviews and throwing several cards against this one and for the money it's my best bet)

ANOTHER copy of Windows7 (freakin $200)

Case (I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy one or get really creative and make something ;))

ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES

I can't be any more serious when I say that I intend to play A LOT of games. Simulators, Open Adventure (maximum distance rendering is a must), FPS, Old Games, Today's Games, Tomorrow's Games.

I used to be a really heavy gamer, but I got older and my tech got out-dated so I ran out of time and became limited as to what I could do. I don't have any more extra time but I'd still like to get back into gaming.

I also may get into some photo and video editing.

I want to learn php and java so I need a server environment to test on so something with a lot of freight strength is great. I want to do server work!! I think that would be really cool.

MOST IMPORTANT!!! It needs to last. I WILL take care of it and I WILL be good to it, but if the technology is not current enough, it's not going to last me as long. I expect that this computer will last me 10 years (next-next-gen gaming purposes not included in estimate) or more once completed.

I've never overclocked a CPU before but I've been reading around and it's not as dangerous as I always thought it was if I were to just knock it up a little bit more. Should I be interested in overclocking and should I also be interested in liquid cooling?

What is your preferred cooling method that is cheap and effective. Please don't say 500 fans. They are very noisy.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

MOST IMPORTANT!!! It needs to last. I WILL take care of it and I WILL be good to it, but if the technology is not current enough, it's not going to last me as long. I expect that this computer will last me 10 years (next-next-gen gaming purposes not included in estimate) or more once completed.

Not happening. As of 2 days ago the GTX470 is a last gen card. Sandy Bridge CPUs/motherboards are about to hit the market very soon as well, AMD Bulldozers are coming as well. There is a real state of flux right now in chips/architectures.

Seriously, you have a 3 channel board. You are really good to go with either 6 or 12 gigs of RAM. No idea why you are fixated on 8gigs.

Cooling is not too big a problem. Any number of air coolers will work fine, H20 is not necessary. The 950 clocks great without too much voltage. Most popular cooler at present http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=cpu_cooling-_-35-103-065-_-Product is the best bang for the buck now.

You are on the right track. If you want the best performance, without going silly/crazy on budget, the i7 950 with an X58 board and 6-12 gigs of RAM is as futureproof a base as you can get as of 12:01 PM CST, 10 November 2010.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:24 AM

Ten yesrs, never going to happen. Five years with upgrades every two or so, with a major overhaul at year six would be capable. You should also be aware that the socket that CPU is using will be phased out after the Sandy Bridge and the LGA 2011 sockets come out. Backwards compatibility with LGA 1366 motherboards and the new LGA 2011 CPU's does not exist, so you're cutting your future upgrade paths quite a bit.

The GTX 470 is indeed last gen, Nvidia's GTX 5xx series just came out as did the mid-range cards in the AMD Radeon 6xxx series with the high-end enthusiast cards coming out in a few weeks. I'm holding off on Nvidia cards for now, their drivers have gotten worse recently so I switched over to AMD GPU's.

Now that we know, sort of, which type of graphics card you're wanting, it should be easier to suggest a power supply. Keep in mind that you have indicated that you're interested in dual GPU's at some point, so you need to factor that in as well. Here are some suggestions: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W, Thermaltake TR-700P TR2 BRONZE 700W, XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W, PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II PPCMK2S750 750W, or Sparkle Computer Corp GOLD CLASS SCC-750AF 750W. In the 650W class: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W, SILVERSTONE DECATHLON DA650 650W, CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W, PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II PPCMK2S650 650W, or XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W. If you're considering two high-performance GPU's, you may want something in the 700W to 750W range.

As for cases, my favorite has always been the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP.

Also, you can get Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM for $99. There are very, very few reasons a home user would need Professional or Ultimate. Here's a handy graph comparing the SKU's feature sets.

3939.png

#9 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:01 PM

Just a quick question regarding your need for a new copy of windows 7. Do you happen to be a student? If not, try to look for some other deals. I would personally never pay $200 for a new copy. There's so many obscure deals that Microsoft has out there that can you save you a lot of money when purchasing windows 7. For example, because I'm a student, I can get a new copy for just $30. Don't just settle for $200. I'm not guaranteeing you will find something out there, but definitely take a look around because it can save a lot of money that you could spend elsewhere.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

Indeed, if you are a student you may even be able to get it for free from the MSDNAA if your school is a member.

3939.png

#11 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

I completely forgot about the student discount thing. I'm gonna sign up for some classes in spring so I'll try to get a deal in a few weeks.

I checked out your link for the case. Looks good, plenty of room, handles are nice and the top vent is good. I bookmarked it but I'm gonna continue to look. The case will be the toughest choice believe it or not.

As for these new chips and their 2011 sockets... WTF!!! I hadn't heard about this until now. Are they moving away from core i7 processors already?

What does the new architecture offer? More cores, more threads or both? Does this mean mobos are upgrading too? Stock bus speeds faster than 1.6G/T?

What's goin on?
for3ver,
goose90proof

#12 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Intel- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)
AMD- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)

It's a big time for change now. 2 new CPU architectures are about here (Intel in Jan '11), as well as several new videocard lines.

#13 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

AGHH!!! They are seriously already outgrowing nehalem!!?!?!??! I am greatly angered!!! But not really. I've already got my mobo so I'm stuck with 1366 :P

But I can't complain. It'll work for my purposes.

Something I'd like to note on the 10 year thing I mentioned above...

First off... I stand by this.

You may have heard the expression: "as soon as you buy a computer and walk out the door, it's already obsolete"

This is only half-true. It is true in that it will be replaced by better and more progressive technology very shortly but the typical user will still be using their computer for the same purposes no matter how quickly technology accelerates past what they already have. Grandma is still gonna be just surfing the web when you start running processors at 1 THz.

Certainly, there are groups of individuals who demand the next level and require the next level in order to play next gen games or produce the best videos, photos and graphical designs.

For my purposes, this computer will last me 10+ years. Why I think this? Aside from what has already been mentioned, it would clarify the ten year estimate based on what I intend to use this computer for....

1) Gaming - This is the main reason I am building this new rig. However, I'll probably spend less than 40% of my time using the computer for gaming. I love video games, that doesn't mean I have all the time in the world to play them nor does it mean I don't have other things to do. I also like to play a lot of old games. I may not be able to play any games at max settings 3-5 years from now, but I'll enjoy the best of it until then.

2) Work & Education - I really want to learn more web programming and server skills. This build will serve well in this field for as long as the computer is operable. I want to learn php, java, xhtml, javascript and css. Eventually move up to bigger things like C++.

3) General Screwing Around - what's better than a big case of red bull and 10mbps connection with hours to kill? Nothin... unless there's like some models or hooter's girls involved ;)

4) Media - This thing is gonna be a storage center for music, photos and videos. I may even get into a little photo and video editing. I'll need to get a camera first though >.>

As long as I take good care of this thing there's, no reason it shouldn't last. I know of at least 3 people right now who have had the same desktop for over 10 years (and their computers are lame :|). I can take good care of it, keep it clean. IT WILL LAST!!!

Edited by goose90proof, 18 November 2010 - 09:59 AM.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

You have expressed a good point there, i have a 5 years desktop that runs a p4 and i was about to change the whole system but i thought why would need to upgrade it, if it already serves its purpose finely like browsing the internet.

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#15 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

Yes sir. I presently only have one laptop computer. I would like to have one to keep just at home for all my personal stuff (browsing, games, etc.) and just use the laptop for work.

As my only computer, this little pc has a lot of hours on it already and I haven't had it even a year yet.

I didn't notice it when I bought the computer, but this laptop has a pretty poor design for cooling. The vents are in awkward places and often get suffocated by clothing or other materials when I'm at home. I try to remember to put it on top of something, but once I've made it home from work and I'm sitting down, there's no way I'm gettin up unless I have to go the bathroom. LOL

My last laptop died from overheating >.<

It was a crappy HP laptop and I didn't notice it before it was too late. This was back when I played WoW and I couldn't be bothered for anything (even by the sounds of my own dieing computer). Before I knew it, the screen started displaying all sorts of crazy anomalies and that was it... it turned off.

Fortunately, I had finished the dungeon I was running but was greeted to the sounds of crackling capacitors shortly thereafter.

It never booted up the same way after that. :( Always had a bright, lime-green circle that started around the corners of the screen and perpetuated toward the center until it broke off into rough, pixelated edges.

On the brighter side... the hard drive is still good and I am using it to this day :D
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users